Plas y Coed, Port Penrhyn
|Date||24 March 2012|
|Location||Port Penrhyn, Bangor||SH 59408 72465; 53.23055°N, 4.10771°W|
Around 1790 a house was built just outside the grounds of Penrhyn Castle at Port Penrhyn for Benjamin Wyatt, agent to the Penrhyn estate. This neoclassical villa, known as Lime Grove, was designed by Benjamin’s brother Samuel and survived until 1864, when, having been deemed to be unfashionable, it was demolished.
In 1878 a larger mansion house, Plas y Coed, was built on the site of Lime Grove as the residence of the estate’s agent (at the time Captain Pennant Lloyd), a role it was to continue to play until the Second World War. It thereafter became a care home for the elderly, which was run by Gwynedd Council up until its closure in 2005.
London-based Gloria Healthcare submitted plans in 2008 to construct a 106-bedroom residential facility for the elderly next to the Grade II listed building and to convert the latter into a day-care centre. Planning permission was turned down on the grounds of over provision of care and the detrimental effect of the design on the setting.
The 15-acre site was purchased by local developer Watkin Jones in 2010. In November 2011 Watkin Jones made a planning application to convert Plas y Coed into 12 flats (including 4 ‘affordable’ units) and to build 17 detached houses in the former grazing land adjacent to the mansion.