|Date||17 June 2012|
|Location||North Stack, Anglesey||SH 21468 83938; 53.32216°N, 4.68193°W|
The former fog-signal station located on the headland at North Stack on Holy Island, Anglesey, was constructed in 1780. It was originally equipped with a pair of cannon: a shot was fired at fixed intervals as a warning to shipping in foggy weather. The Magazine House was built in 1861 to store the charges for the cannon. In the late 19th century the cannon were superseded by an oil-fired siren comprising 35 horns. The siren has lain silent since 1986, when it was in turn superseded by a new facility at the nearby South Stack lighthouse. Mains electricity was brought to the site in the 1950s.
The accommodation block, built as two separate dwellings, was home to the fog-house keepers and their families. For the past 23 years, however, it has been home and studio to artist Philippa Jacobs and is currently up for sale. The remote property can only be reached on foot or by 4×4 via a 1.3-mile-long unmade track over the north-eastern slopes of Holyhead Mountain.