Railway Institute, Bangor
|Date||1 July 2012|
|Location||Euston Road, Bangor||SH 57283 71538; 53.22165°N, 4.13910°W|
The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) was founded in 1846 when three earlier companies merged, and itself became a part of the London, Midland and Scottish (LMS) railway in 1923. When the railways were nationalised in 1948, the Welsh and English lines of the latter became the London Midland Region of British Railways.
The mainline railway arrived in Bangor in 1848, when its station opened as the mainland terminus of the Chester and Holyhead Railway. Two years later the tubular Britannia Bridge over the Menai Strait was opened, providing a rail connection to Anglesey. The line was taken over by LNWR in 1859.
LNWR was the main employer in Bangor and the West End area of the city, behind the station, has many Victorian terraces of red-brick railwaymen’s houses. In their midst stands the Railway Institute in Euston Road, built in 1898 as a social club and extended in 1905.