Nantporth Stadium, Bangor
|Date||1 July 2012|
|Location||Holyhead Road, Bangor||SH 56535 72008; 53.22567°N, 4.15051°W|
The history of Welsh Premier League side Bangor City Football Club dates back to 1876, when the team played at Maes-y-Dref, a small field in the Hirael district. When the land there was converted into allotments in 1919, the club moved to the sports ground in Farrar Road, for which Lord Penrhyn had granted tenancy to Bangor Cricket Club in 1879.
The two clubs shared the site until the cricket club moved to Llandegai in 1928. Farrar Road thereafter remained home to Bangor City until the end of 2011.
Penrhyn Estates sold the football ground to Bangor City Council in the early 1980s and the club retained a right to play there “in perpetuity”. However, there was subsequently some dissatisfaction with the maintenance of the facility and during the 1990s BCFC wanted to move to a new home. This ambition was finally realised in January 2012 when the club moved into its new Nantporth stadium on the banks of the Menai Strait.
Demolition of the old stadium at Farrar Road started as soon as City moved to Nantporth, and construction of a new Asda supermarket there is currently in progress. Asda had previously planned to build there but had later withdrawn, and subsequent development plans for student accommodation, a leisure complex, shops and flats were rejected. Bangor City Council came to an agreement with Asda in 2010 and Gwynedd Council granted permission for the development in April 2011.
The site at Nantporth is owned by Bangor City Council and the ground was previously used as a playing field for Bangor University’s ‘Normal Site’ campus. Construction of the new stadium began in August 2011 and was completed in January 2012. It has a capacity of 3,000, with seating for 1,100.