Cwmorthin Quarry (3)
|Date||12 January 2013|
|Location||Cwmorthin, Blaenau Ffesintiog||SH 68157 45682; 52.99218°N, 3.96572°W|
The Lower Mills at Cwmorthin Quarry, of which there now only remain parts of the foundations, date back to around the 1860s when the mine was owned by the Cwm-Orthin Slate Company. There were originally two buildings next to each other, to which a third — London Hall — was later added. The mills fell into disuse in 1900 and were renovated in 1925. At that time, the waterwheel that had originally powered the mills was superseded by a Pelton-wheel turbine.
The Slate Garden was built by the late Robin Evan Jones in the 1990s after he retired from working at the quarry.