GeoTopoi

Places and photographs

Posts Tagged ‘Llandygai

Penrhyn Monument, St Tegai’s Church

with 15 comments

Westmacott's monument to the first Lord and Lady Penrhyn

Date

29 February 2012
Location

Llandygai, Gwynedd

SH 60079 70986; 53.21744°N, 4.09701°W

Information

In 1820, Sir Richard Westmacott (1775 – 1856) — at the time Britain’s foremost sculptor of public statues — created this memorial in St Tegai’s Church to the first Baron Penrhyn. The romanticised neoclassical tableau, with idealised life-sized figures, depicts a quarryman and peasant woman mourning over a sarcophagus. Above the inscription can be seen four bucolic scenes with cherubs: playing pan pipes whilst tending goats; working slate; learning to read; and dancing and harvesting.

Richard Pennant (1737 – 1808) married Anne Susannah Warburton, heiress to the Penrhyn estate, in 1765 and in 1783 was granted an Irish peerage (an honour which did not disqualify the recipient from sitting in the House of Commons in London), becoming the first Baron Penrhyn. He served as an MP for Liverpool and, owning 8,000 acres of sugar plantations and over 600 slaves in Jamaica, was an outspoken supporter of slavery and fervent campaigner against the abolition movement.

Pennant used the great wealth derived from the plantations to invest in the Penrhyn estate and to industrialise the slate quarries of Bethesda. He developed the transport infrastructure to distribute the slate products, building Port Penrhyn and establishing a rail link from Penrhyn Quarry to the port.

Richard Pennant, 1st Baron Penrhyn (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Written by Graham Stephen

March 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm

St Tegai’s Church, Llandygai

with 13 comments

St Tegai's Church

Date

29 February 2012
Location

Llandygai, Gwynedd

SH 60079 70986; 53.21744°N, 4.09701°W

Information

Llandygai, located just outside the boundary walls of the grounds of Penrhyn Castle, was developed by the Penrhyn family in the 18th century as a model village for its estate workers. St Tegai had established a church there in the 6th century and the present building dates back to the 14th century. The church was restored and extended in 1853 by diocesan architect Henry Kennedy.

Inside the church there is a marble monument to Richard Pennant, first Baron Penrhyn, and in the churchyard is the tomb of Benjamin Wyatt, Pennant’s agent for the Penrhyn estate.

St Tegai’s Church (The Church in Wales);
St Tegai’s Church, Llandegai (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Written by Graham Stephen

March 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 341 other followers