|Date||2 October 2010|
|Location||Treborth||SH 55374 71215||53.21823°N, 4.16752°W|
The 92-gun Rodney Class HMS Nile was launched in 1830 and in 1859 was officially opened as the cadet school ship HMS Conway in the Mersey. During WWII it was decided to move the ship to a safer location and in 1941, undertaking her first sea voyage in 65 years, she was towed to Glyn Garth Mooring near Bangor Pier. And in 1949 she was moved on to a mooring near Plas Newydd, Anglesey.
In 1953 she was being towed back to Birkenhead for a refit when she ran aground and broke her back. She lay on the banks of the Strait for three years until being consumed by an unexplained blaze that raged for 18 hours burning her down to the waterline. There had been a protracted period of legal wrangling over the responsibility for the disposal of the wreck and at the time various rumours circulated as to the circumstances of the fire. Alleged possible causes included vandalism and the involvement, unintentional or otherwise, of the contractors eventually engaged to remove the remains of the vessel.
Photo of HMS Conway aground on the banks of the Menai Strait (hmsconway.org)