|Date||10 September 2011|
|Location||Minffordd, Bangor||SH 57988 71015; 53.21714°N, 4.12831°W|
In 1882 contamination of Bangor’s water supply led to an epidemic of typhoid, in which 540 people contracted the disease and 42 died. In the wake of this public-health disaster, there were calls for an isolation hospital to treat any further cases of typhoid or other infectious diseases such as scarlet fever or diptheria in the area. Land at Minffordd, on the outskirts of the city, was purchased from Lord Penrhyn, who made a donation for building costs, and a new hospital was constructed. The memorial stone was laid in 1893 and the building was officially opened in 1895.
In 1948 the hospital became a convalescent home and it closed in 1984 when the new main hospital in Bangor — Ysbyty Gwynedd — opened. Following refurbishment, it then opened again in 1988 as a psychiatric unit for elderly patients.
In June 2009 the North West Wales NHS Trust put the site up for sale. In June 2011 Loughborough-based Rushcliffe Care Group submitted proposals to demolish the historic buildings and in their place construct a 36-bed specialist care facility. Gwynedd County Council is to consider this planning application on 26 September 2011.