|Date||17 September 2011|
|Location||Caernarfon||SH 48264 61527; 53.12924°N, 4.26932°W|
Ysbyty Bryn Seiont is a former community hospital in Pant Road, Caernarfon. It was founded in 1914 as Bryn Seiont Sanatorium by the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association and served as a centre for the treatment of tuberculosis, a disease not uncommon among the area’s quarry workers. It was incorporated into the National Health Service on its formation in 1948. In the re-organisation of services at that time, Ysbyty Minffordd became a convalescent hospital and Bryn Seiont took over the former’s role as the area’s isolation hospital.
It later served as a geriatric hospital and latterly had a four-bed palliative care unit, staffed by Macmillan nurses, for the terminally ill. In the 1990s it was considered to be unsuitable by modern standards for in-patient care and by 2004 the plan was to close the palliative care unit once a replacement facility had been built at the nearby Eryri Hospital — the £1.7m extension at the latter was scheduled for completion in May of the following year. It was also originally intended to thereafter re-develop Bryn Seiont for the use of out-patient clinics, child development services and the National Blood Service.
However, in December 2004 the health authorities controversially closed the palliative care unit early, moving its last patient to Eryri before the new unit there was ready. Although this saved costs in the region of £127,000, the local Health Trust maintained that the move was done out of necessity on account of problems with staff shortages. When the unit was shut down the hospital was also closed but it was used for administrative and training purposes until the five-acre site was sold off in December 2009 to Wrexham-based private care-home company Pendine Park.
Plans for the Canolfan Gofal Parc Pendine (Pendine Park Care Centre) project were unveiled and the company stated that it intended to submit a planning application to build a £4m centre for dementia. This would comprise eight small, family-like units along with a teaching care unit and would create around 100 jobs.
In April 2011, an annexe of the hospital was destroyed in an arson attack. Pendine Park stated that this would not alter its plans.
The National Blood Service still uses part of the grounds as a base. There are currently no indications of any development work being carried out on the site.
Last patient leaves closing hospital (BBC News, 9 Dec 2004);