|Date||17 September 2011|
|Location||Caernarfon||SH 49240 62050; 53.13421°N, 4.25499°W|
Formerly known as Peblig Mill, Peblig Industrial Park is an 18-acre site lying on the outskirts of Caernarfon. It is currently owned by Transwest and looked after by Lancashire-based property management company First Investments Ltd. In February 2011 the partnership unveiled outline plans for mixed-use re-development of the site, with the intention of submitting a planning application by the end of the year. The plans would involve the demolition of all the existing buildings, the construction of 79 homes, and the creation of 50,000 sq ft of new commercial space, which, if fully occupied, could support 150 jobs.
The existing buildings amount to 200,000 sq ft of industrial and office space, but is only 18% occupied with around 20 people working there. Present tenants include local businesses such as car-repair workshops and also the long-established family business Brunswick Ironworks (a company with an impressive list of achievements since it was founded in 1906).
The site was home until 2009 to Kruger Tissues Ltd, manufacturer of industrial-washroom toilet paper and hand towels. The company owned a converting plant (where paper parent reels are made into end products) at Penygroes and used the Peblig Mill plant as a storehouse. When Canadian parent company Kruger Inc sold off its UK operation to Middlesex-based Northwood Paper Sales, the Peblig facility was closed to cut costs and the Penygroes plant was rebranded as Connect Hygiene Products.
In the 19th century Peblig Mill was a water-powered flour mill, which was owned by a succession of different corn merchants. At the start of World War II, Hunting Aviation strategically relocated from Croydon first to Llanberis and then shortly afterwards to Peblig Mill. After the war, however, the company closed the factory there and moved operations back to Croydon.
First Investments; Brunswick Ironworks; Connect Hygiene Products;