|Date||4 August 2012|
|Location||Cochwillan, Tal-y-bont||SH 60130 69855; 53.20729°N, 4.09575°W|
Constructed on the site of a much earlier mill, the current Grade II listed Felin Cochwillan building dates back to the late 18th century. A wooden-spoked, breast-shot iron waterwheel, driven by water from the Afon Ogwen, provided the power for what was originally a ‘pandy’, or fulling mill. The fulling process cleanses, thickens and strengthens woven cloth, and involves washing to remove dirt and grease and kneading with wooden hammers to mat together the wool fibres.
About 1870, Lord Penrhyn became concerned about the damage to the salmon stocks caused by the contamination of the river with sulphuric acid-based detergents. Felin Cochwillan was therefore purchased and converted for use as a corn mill for the Penrhyn estate.
The mill last operated in the 1950s and the building was listed in 1966. It is now a private residence.