|Date||3 November 2012|
|Location||Viewed from Buddo Ness, Fife||NO 55677 15155; 56.32667°N, 2.71831°W|
The settlement of St Andrews dates back to the 12th century and its university, the oldest in Scotland and third oldest in the English-speaking world, was established in 1410.
St Andrews used to be the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland until the 16th-century Reformation, when the country broke with the Papacy. Its cathedral, now in ruins, was the largest in Scotland.
St Andrews is internationally recognised as the ‘home of golf’.