|Date||26 / 28 March 2013|
|Location||La Oliva, Fuerteventura||28.606745°N, 13.925438°W|
The Casa de los Coroneles (The Colonels’ House) is an 18th-century fortified mansion house in La Oliva that was the residence of the military commanders of the island of Fuerteventura. The house has two storeys and an internal courtyard is surrounded by a gallery resting on wooden supports. The Colonel and his family occupied the upper level, which also housed a chapel, while located on the ground floor were the coach house, grain stores and other stores.
The Cabrera Bethéncourt family took control of Fuerteventura in 1702 and the colonelcy passed down the generations of the family. The last Colonel of the island, Cristobal Manrique de Lara Cabrera, fell from power in 1856. Construction of the mansion was started by Ginés de Cabrera Béthencourt (1650-1722) and completed by his grandson, the fifth Colonel Agustín Cabrera Béthencourt Dumpiérrez (1743-1828).
The Canary Government acquired the house, which had fallen into a state of disrepair, in 1994. Following its restoration, it was opened in 2006 as a multi-purpose cultural centre hosting events and exhibitions.