|Date||27 December 2013|
|Location||Bangor, Gwynedd||SH 58117 72056; 53.22653°N, 4.12685°W|
The site of the Cathedral Church of St Deiniol in Bangor has been a place of worship since the 6th century. The Celtic missionary Deiniol founded a monastery there around 530 and his church became a cathedral around 546 when he was made the first bishop of Bangor.
Deiniol had enclosed his plot of land by driving stakes into the ground with branches woven in between. The Welsh term for such a wattle fence was bangor, a name which became associated with the cathedral itself and later the city.
Much of the current building dates back to the 14th and 15th centuries and the cathedral has been rebuilt several times throughout its history, having been destroyed by the Vikings in 1073, by English forces of King John in 1211, and during the Glyndwr rebellion in 1402. Architect Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out a major restoration in 1870-80 and extensive repairs to the exterior were started in 1987.