|Date||24 January 2015|
SH 59096 48110; 53.01169°N, 4.10168°W|
The triple-arched Pont Beddgelert road bridge spans the Afon Colwyn close to its confluence with the Afon Glaslyn in the centre of Beddgelert village. The Grade II listed structure has been repaired a number of times throughout its history, the earliest recorded instance being in the early 17th century.
The first half of the 19th century saw an increase in the numbers of tourists visiting Snowdonia and around 1830, hoping to capitalise on this trend, the Sygun estate started developing property in Beddgelert – a row of buildings was constructed overlooking the Afon Colwyn close to the bridge.
The principal buildings, which received Grade II listed status in 1952 and 1961, respectively, were the Prince Llewelyn Hotel and Waterloo House. The latter is now Beddgelert Bistro and Antiques and was from the late 19th century the village Post Office. The 11-bedroom Prince Llewelyn Hotel was the site in 1949 of an occurrence the like of which is only known to have occurred in Wales on one other occasion. In the early hours of 21 September 1949 a bright light was observed traversing the sky in North Wales. A series of bangs was heard in the hotel and in the morning a hole was discovered in the ceiling of one of the upstairs lounges with a stone the size of a cricket ball lying on the floor. It was only identified as a meteorite that evening by an old miner in the hotel bar. The meteorite was later sold to the British Museum and was subsequently divided into samples which were sent to a number of different institutions.