The Hay Inclined Plane was one of the first canal boat-lift inclines to be created and was in operation from the 1790s until the 1890s. Coal, iron and other products were conveyed from the short section of the Shropshire Canal running through the industrial complex that is now the site of Blists Hill Victorian Town down to the Coalport Canal and thence to the River Severn.
Map of the industrial complex that is now the site of Blists Hill Victorian Town open-air museum
Blists Hill Victorian Town
Hay Inclined Plane
North Engine House, Blists Hill Blast Furnaces. This housed one of the two blowing engines that supplied the three furnaces with their blasts of air which kept the fires burning at temperatures of up to 1300ºC. Coke, ironstone and limestone were poured into the furnaces to be transformed into the end product, pig iron. The furnaces, constructed by the Madeley Wood Company, date from 1832 to c 1840 and closed down in 1912 following a miners’ strike.
Colliery headgear and winding house