|Date||23 May 2015|
|Location||Lime Street, Liverpool||SJ 35019 90544; 53.40767°N, 2.97895°W|
Liverpool’s Lime Street Station is the city centre’s main railway station and comprises Network Rail’s nine-platform mainline terminus together with Merseyrail’s single-platform underground station. It thus provides a connection between a branch of the West Coast Main Line and Merseyrail’s Wirral Line.
The station was first opened to the public in 1836 by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (LMR), which had purchased the site, formerly used as a cattle market, from the city council in 1833 for £9000. The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) replaced the original building in 1867 with the present northern arched train shed, whose curved roof was designed by Irish iron founder Richard Turner (1798-1881). In 1879 a second, southern shed was completed. The station was taken over by the London Midland and Scottish (LMS) railway in 1923, which became part of British Railways in 1948.
The underground station is one of six in Merseyrail’s network and was opened in 1977 on the completion of the new single-track Loop Line tunnel under the city centre. The latter links to the Mersey Railway Tunnel, which opened in 1886 to provide a rail link between Liverpool and Birkenhead under the River Mersey.
Various other alterations to Lime Street Station have taken place over the years. The concourse was remodelled in 1955 and again in 1984. The train sheds were renovated in 2000. And in 2010 work was completed as part of the £35 million ‘Lime Street Gateway Project’ for the redevelopment of the station and its immediate environs, which included the demolition of buildings in front of the station and the creation of a new public plaza. There is also a major upgrade of the station’s capacity planned for 2016. This will involve an overhaul of its signalling and the provision of additional platforms and will require the closure of the station for eight weeks.
Lime Street Station received a Grade II listing in 1975 and was named ‘Station of the Year’ in the 2010 National Rail Awards.