10 July 2015
Tan Dinas Quarry is located on the Anglesey coast 2.5 km north of Llanddona. It appears on the 1889 edition of the local Ordnance Survey map and is marked as being disused by the 1919 edition. The limestone quarry and concrete works were later re-opened by Cawood & Wharton Ltd and closed again in the 1950s. In the late 1960s equipment, including a 2 ft gauge railway system, was removed from the site.
In 1951 Constable John Emlyn Jones was awarded the British Empire Medal for heroism in the rescue of a boy who had gotten into difficulties at the quarry. The boy had become stuck half way up the rock face unable to climb further up or down. Constable Jones was lowered down to a ledge from where he made his way to the stranded boy and then managed to lower him down to the safety of the beach below using a second rope he had taken with him.