28 May 2016
Designed by Bolton architects Bradshaw and Gass, the then Central Hall of the Liverpool Wesleyan Mission opened in 1905. As well as being a Methodist church, the building also served other purposes – it was, for example used as a cinema, and before the Second World War it temporarily housed the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. The building, which is Grade II listed, was sold by the Methodists in 1990 and was renovated and re-opened as a night club in 1998. In 2006, Quiggins – a collective of alternative traders – relocated into the space below the dome of the Grand Central building. The domed area itself has been refurbished and in 2011 opened as The Dome – a multipurpose performance venue with theatre-style seating on two levels.