29 July 2016
Lancaster (Forton) is a service station on the M6 motorway situated between junctions 32 and 33. It opened as Forton Services in 1965 and was designed by London-based architects T.P. Bennett and Son (founded by Sir Thomas Penberthy Bennett (1887-1980) and now known as tp Bennett LLP). The Pennine Tower, the distinctive hexagonal structure dominating the site is no longer in use and is a Grade II listed building. It originally housed a table-service restaurant with a sun deck above, but was closed to the public on account of fire regulations in 1989.