18 April 2018
In about 3000 BCE a stone circle was erected at Bryn Celli Ddu. The site was redeveloped around 1,000 years later as a chambered tomb with the structure aligned such that at sunrise on the summer solstice rays of sunlight illuminate the interior through the entrance passage.
The Neolithic burial chamber had been left open for hundreds of years when it was excavated by English archaeologist Wilfrid James Hemp (1882-1962) in 1928-29. The grassy mound covering the tomb was reconstructed, on a smaller scale than the original, after these excavations.
The site is in the care of the Welsh historic environment service, Cadw.