28 March 2020
24 August 2019
Situated in a development of around 60 units, this Scandinavian-style lodge is located 3 miles from the centre of Penrith in the Eden Valley in Cumbria.
23 August 2018
Carnasserie Castle was in its day one of Argyll’s finest Renaissance mansions. The five-storey tower with adjoining three-storey hall was built in the 1560s by John Carswell (c 1522 – 1572), first Protestant Bishop of the Isles (1565 – 1572). The property was entrusted to Carswell by his patron Archibald Campbell (1537 – 1573), 5th Earl of Argyll. Carswell’s main legacy was his publication in Edinburgh in 1567 of the first book ever printed in Gaelic (Irish or Scottish) – this was a translation of John Knox’s Book of Common Order.
The castle was badly damaged in 1685 by Royalist forces in an uprising by Archibald Campbell (c 1629 – 1685), 9th Earl of Aryll, against James VII, in which Campbell was captured and executed. The castle thereafter lay disused and was purchased in the 19th century by the Malcolms of Poltalloch. Today it is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
20 August 2018
The Category A listed Inveraray Castle is set in 6.5 hectares of gardens with the overall estate covering an area of 24,000 hectares. The mansion replaced an earlier 15th-century castle and was designed in 1746 by English architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The property is located on the shore of Scotland’s longest sea loch, Loch Fyne, and in the 1770s the village of Inveraray was moved in order to secure a more secluded position for the castle.
Inveraray Castle is the ancestral home of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of Clan Campbell. The dukedom was created in 1701 in the Peerage of Scotland and in 1892 the 8th Duke was also created Duke of Argyll in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.
Parts of the castle are open to the public with private apartments being occupied by Torquhil Ian Campbell (b 1968), the 13th and 6th Duke of Argyll, and his family. Campbell is also captain of Scotland’s national elephant polo team.
The castle featured as the fictional Duneagle Castle in the 2012 Christmas special episode of the television series Downton Abbey.
16 February 2018
Covering an area of 45 hectares, Liverpool’s Grade II* listed Stanley Park was designed by landscape architect Edward Kemp (1817-1891) and opened in 1870. Located within the park is the Grade II listed Isla Gladstone Conservatory, which was built in 1899. This restored Victorian conservatory serves as a hospitality venue and includes a café on the ground floor.
15 February 2018
The Echo Arena entertainment venue together with the adjoining BT Convention Centre form ACC Liverpool (Arena and Convention Centre Liverpool). The centre was designed by London-based architects WilkinsonEyre and Bath-based consultants BuroHappold Engineering and opened in 2008 to host the official launch of the city’s European Capital of Culture year.
The £164 million centre is owned by Liverpool City Council and is operated by The ACC Liverpool Group Ltd.
15 February 2018
The Philharmonic Dining Rooms is a pub and restaurant located diagonally opposite Liverpool Philharmonic Hall. Designed by Welsh-born public-house architect Walter William Thomas (1849-1912) for Irish-born local brewer Robert Cain (1826-1907), ‘The Phil’ was built in 1898 as a gentleman’s club. Renowned for its ornate interior decoration, the Grade II* listed building is now part of the Nicholson’s chain of hostelries.