Chinese Walking Stick Bamboo

Chinese Walking Stick Bamboo

Date

17 October 2020

Location

Bog Garden, Treborth Botanic Garden,
Treborth, Bangor
SH 55240 71098; 53.21714°N, 4.16947°W

Information

Chimonobambusa tumidissinosa
Chinese Walking Stick Bamboo
From Southwest Sichuan and northeast Yunnan (China), has been used for walking sticks since the Han Dynasty. Edible shoots.”

Further Reading

Treborth Botanic Garden

SEE MORE →

Plas Tan y Bwlch – Snowdonia National Park Environmental Studies Centre

Plas Tan y Bwlch

Date

22 August 2017

Location

Plas Tan y Bwlch, Maentwrog, Vale of Ffestiniog
SH 65548 40623; 52.94608°N, 4.00245°W

Information

The first manor house on the Tan y Bwlch estate is thought to have been built in the 17th century by Evan Evans, who was Sheriff of Merionethshire in 1635. In around 1748 the house was rebuilt by Robert Griffith, grandson of the Evans heiress Catherine. In turn the Griffith family male line also came to an end and Robert’s granddaughter Margaret inherited the estate. In 1789 she married William Oakeley from Staffordshire. The Oakeley family was involved in many developments in the local area, including agricultural land improvement, slate quarrying in Blaenau Ffesiniog, and the creation of the Ffestiniog Railway. The family owned the estate until 1961.

Meirionnydd County Council purchased the house and grounds in 1969 and in 1975 it was opened as the Study Centre by the Snowdonia National Park Authority. Renovations of the property and gardens funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and CADW were carried out in 2004-05.

Further Reading

Plas Tan y Bwlch (Snowdonia National Park)

SEE MORE →

Treborth Botanic Garden

Treborth Botanic Garden

Date

20 May 2017

Location

Treborth, Bangor
SH 55240 71098; 53.21714°N, 4.16947°W

Information

The land for Treborth Botanic Garden was purchased by Bangor University in the 1960s in order to develop a plant collection for its Botany Department. The garden had previously been developed in the 1840s as part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway’s planned tourist destination Britannia Park. This was designed by architect and gardener Sir Joseph Paxton (1803 – 1865) – best known for designing the 1851 Great Exhibition’s Crystal Palace. However, lack of funding led to the project being abandoned.

The botanic garden is host to more than 2,000 native and exotic species and the university maintains six glasshouses on the site. The university provides free access to the grounds to the public throughout the year.

Further Reading

Treborth Botanic Garden

SEE MORE →