16 August 2020
21 August 2018
Springbank Distillery is located in Campbeltown, once Scotland’s whisky capital with 34 distilleries having been established there. Springbank was established in 1828 on the site of an earlier illicit still. Having been in the hands of the Mitchell family for five generations, Springbank is Scotland’s oldest independent, family-owned distillery. It is also the only one to carry out all stages of production – from malting the barley to final bottling – in house on a single site.
The distillery produces three distinct single malts: Springbank, a lightly peated malt produced since 1828; Longrow, a heavily peated, smoky, Islay-style whisky produced since 1973; and Hazelburn, a subtle, non-peated variety produced since 1997.
19 August 2018
The Scotch Whisky Experience opened in 1988 as The Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre in a joint venture by 19 different Scotch whisky companies. The visitor attraction changed its name to the present one in 2006 and in 2008 it became home to the Diageo Claive Vidiz Whisky Collection – a collection of over 3,000 bottles built up over 35 years by Brazilian whisky enthusiast Claive Vidiz. The centre offers tours and whisky tutoring and features a shop and the Amber Restaurant & Whisky Bar.
15 February 2018
The Philharmonic Dining Rooms is a pub and restaurant located diagonally opposite Liverpool Philharmonic Hall. Designed by Welsh-born public-house architect Walter William Thomas (1849-1912) for Irish-born local brewer Robert Cain (1826-1907), ‘The Phil’ was built in 1898 as a gentleman’s club. Renowned for its ornate interior decoration, the Grade II* listed building is now part of the Nicholson’s chain of hostelries.
27 August 2016
St Pio’s Cafe is located in the St Pio Peace Centre at the Franciscan Friary in Pantasaph. The small tea room there had fallen into a state of disrepair and was relaunched as the current cafe in 2015.
St David’s Church in Pantasaph was designed by London-based architect Thomas Henry Wyatt (1807-1880) and was built 1849-1852. It was originally intended as an Anglican church for the village but following the conversion in 1850 of the donors – Rudolph William Basil Fielding (1823-1892), who became the 8th Earl of Denbigh in 1865, and his first wife Louisa Pennant (1828-1853) – it was donated to the Roman Catholic Church and it became the mother house of the Friars Minor Capuchin of Great Britain, who had had no permanent base until that time. The church was adapted for Catholic use by architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852), himself a Roman Catholic convert. The adjacent Friary was built between 1858 and 1865 and is now a Franciscan Retreat Centre. Both the church and friary are Grade II* listed buildings.
14 May 2016
Dr Zig’s was started up in 2011 by Paola Dyboski-Bryant and was named after her son Ziggy who was two years old at the time. The eco-friendly company sells bubble mix and kits and also provides giant bubbles at events such as parties and festivals. Their premises in former dairy buildings on the Vaynol Estate comprise a manufacturing unit, café and shop, outdoor play area and the ‘Bubble Barn’ – a giant bubble venue for parties and events.
1-2 April 2016
Harvey’s US-style diner and drive-thru outlet in Bangor opened in March 2016, with planning permission having been granted in September 2015. The restaurant was built on open ground next to Tesco Extra to designs by consulting engineers H A Structures. The chain, owned by St Asaph-based family-run business Restaurant 72 Ltd, opened its first restaurant in Llandudno in 2012 and a drive-thru in Rhuddlan in 2014. It also has ambitions for outlets in a further four locations: Menai Bridge, Holyhead, Wrexham and Chester.
25 March 2016
Liberal politician Richard Bulkeley Williams Bulkeley (1801-1875) of Baron Hill, 10th Baronet Williams-Bulkeley of Penrhyn, built the Bulkeley Hotel in Beaumaris for a royal visit to the town in 1832 by the then Princess Victoria. He engaged architects Joseph Aloysius Hansom (1803-1882) – who later invented the Hansom safety cab – and Edward Welch (1806-1868) and construction commenced in 1829. Hansom, from York, and Welch, from Flintshire, had formed an architectural partnership in 1828 and at the time were also engaged on the renovation of Bodelwyddan Castle (1830-1832). Construction of the three-storey, neo-classical Bulkeley Hotel was completed in 1831. It was altered by Bangor architect Peter Shearson Gregory (b 1862) around 1899 and extended in the 1930s by Colwyn Bay architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes (1884-1971). The hotel is a Grade I listed building.
24 August 2015
Born in the Borders is a real-ale microbrewery founded in 2011 as the Scottish Borders Brewery. It is located in a £500,000 visitor centre, which was built in 2014 from converted farm buildings and which also features two shops and a café/restaurant. The brewery is owned by John Henderson, who also owns the Cross Keys Inn in the nearby village of Ancrum. Local water is used in the production of the ales and the barley used comes from the surrounding fields.