Date11 June 2021
SH 53030 82267; 53.31686°N, 4.20771°W
23 August 2018
Inveraray is the traditional county town of Argyll and the ancestral home of the chief of Clan Campbell, the Duke of Argyll. In the late 18th century the 5th Duke engaged the Scottish architects John Adam (1721-1792) and Robert Mylne (1733-1811) to rebuild the town.
The shores of Loch Fyne at Inveraray were used to train around 250,000 troops in amphibious landings in preparation for the D-Day landings of World War II.
21 August 2018
With a population of c. 5,000, Campbeltown is the most southerly main settlement in the Kintyre peninsula. It also lays claim to being the westernmost town in mainland Great Britain. Originally known as Kinlochkilkerran, the town was renamed in the 17th century after Archibald Campbell (1629-1685), 9th Earl of Argyll and Chief of Clan Campbell.
Campbeltown’s importance grew as its industries of fishing, shipbuilding and whisky production thrived. 34 whisky distilleries have been established in the town, with 25 in concurrent operation in its heyday in the mid 19th century, and its fishing fleet numbered more than 600 vessels. Today, shipbuilding has disappeared, fishing activity has vastly reduced, and there are at present three whisky distilleries in operation in the town.
28 May 2016
The £1.1 million fountain in Williamson Square was installed in 2004 as part of a £5.75 million upgrade of the square, which also featured trees, new seating and granite paving. The dry-plaza fountain – that is, one in which the water drains away to leave a dry paved area – comprises 40 programmable jets forming a double arch of variable heights up to four metres. The fountain was closed after it flooded in 2008 and was fully re-opened in 2011 after £100,000 of repairs.
19 September 2015
In 1837 the Bangor and Beaumaris Poor Law Union was established and the following year it proposed the setting up of a workhouse in Bangor. The plans, however, were not realised until 1845 when the Glanadda Workhouse was opened on the east side of Caernarfon Road. The workhouse closed in 1929 and the premises were sold to The Bangor Ice Company. The building was demolished in the 1960s to make way for a supermarket and the site is now occupied by Home Bargains.
On the opposite side of Caernarfon Road a new workhouse infirmary was built in 1913-14. It was soon after requisitioned as a military hospital during World War I, when additional hospital accommodation was provided by tents erected in the grounds. The hospital was returned in 1920 and it became a County Hospital in 1930 after the workhouse closed. It was later known as St David’s Hospital and served as a children’s and maternity hospital, coming under the NHS in 1948. The maternity unit was moved to Ysbyty Gwynedd and St David’s was demolished in 1994.
The five-hectare site was purchased from North Wales Regional Health Authority by Widnes-based developers Morbaine and St David’s Retail Park was built there in 2002. Morbaine later sold the park to UBS Global Asset Management who in turn sold it for £14 million in 2011 to London-based Orchard Street Investment Management for its UK Special Situations Fund. The original occupants of the retail park were: Matalan (still there); JJB Sports (now DW Sports Fitness); and PC World (unit now occupied by B & M).