Afon Cegin Weir, Port Penrhyn

Weir, Afon Cegin

Weir, Afon Cegin

Date

14 February 2015
Location

Port Penrhyn, Bangor

SH 59229 72579; 53.23152°N, 4.11044°W

Information

The weir on the Afon Cegin at Port Penrhyn replaced earlier wooden lock gates that were used to control the level of the river at low tide. Slate vessels using the port formerly moored in an upstream basin in the river, access to which would have become restricted when the bridges were built.

Further Reading

Now and Then XI: Port Penrhyn

SEE MORE →

Now and Then XI: Port Penrhyn

Port Penrhyn - Now and Then

Port Penrhyn – Now and Then

Date

14 February 2015
Location

Port Penrhyn, Bangor

SH 59229 72579; 53.23152°N, 4.11044°W

Information

Slate from Penrhyn Quarry had been exported since the early 18th century from the sheltered bay at the mouth of the Afon Cegin where the river empties into the Menai Strait at Bangor Flats. The harbour’s name was changed from Abercegin to Port Penrhyn in 1790 when Richard Pennant‘s agent Benjamin Wyatt developed new facilities there with stone quays built from blocks of Anglesey limestone. More efficient transport of slate from quarry to port arrived in 1801 with the opening of a horse-drawn tramway. This was replaced around 1878 by the narrow-gauge Penrhyn Quarry Railway so that steam locomotives could be employed on the six-mile route from Bethesda. The Penrhyn Quarry Railway closed in 1962. From 1852 the port also had a standard-gauge siding connected to the then Chester and Holyhead Railway (later to become part of the LNWR).

Penrhyn Bridge, which is now a Grade II listed structure, carries the approach road to the Penrhyn Estate’s Port Lodge over the Afon Cegin and was originally built in 1820 by George Hay Dawkins-Pennant. Two railway arches were a later addition in order to allow the tracks to terminate directly on the quays.

The Grade II listed Port House was built in classical style in 1840 by Penrhyn Castle‘s clerk of works William Baxter as the harbour master’s house. The building has been used as an office by the University of Bangor and is currently occupied by Carter Vincent LLB solicitors.

Further Reading

Port Penrhyn;
Penrhyn Quarry

SEE MORE →