30 October 2017
17 September 2017
Construction of Zip World’s new £3.3 million Adventure Terminal started in spring 2016 and it was built by Llanelli-based WRW Construction. The opening of the company’s new headquarters was planned for Easter 2017 but took place in September 2017. In addition to offices and the kitting-up area for the zip-line ‘flyers’, the building features the Blondin restaurant/café bar together with viewing galleries and a function space.
24 August 2017
Theatre Severn was designed by architects Austin-Smith:Lord and built by Wilmot Dixon. Construction began in November 2006 and the theatre was officially opened in March 2009.
24 August 2017
The Church of England’s St Chad’s Church opened on 19 August 1792 and has recently celebrated its 225th birthday. The present building, designed by Scottish architect George Steuart (1730-1806), repaced the earlier 13th century chruch dedicated to St Chad.
St Chad’s is a Grade 1 listed building.
Additional trivia: Charles Darwin (1809-1882) was baptised in St Chad’s on November 15th 1809.
22 August 2017
The first manor house on the Tan y Bwlch estate is thought to have been built in the 17th century by Evan Evans, who was Sheriff of Merionethshire in 1635. In around 1748 the house was rebuilt by Robert Griffith, grandson of the Evans heiress Catherine. In turn the Griffith family male line also came to an end and Robert’s granddaughter Margaret inherited the estate. In 1789 she married William Oakeley from Staffordshire. The Oakeley family was involved in many developments in the local area, including agricultural land improvement, slate quarrying in Blaenau Ffesiniog, and the creation of the Ffestiniog Railway. The family owned the estate until 1961.
Meirionnydd County Council purchased the house and grounds in 1969 and in 1975 it was opened as the Study Centre by the Snowdonia National Park Authority. Renovations of the property and gardens funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and CADW were carried out in 2004-05.