Bulkeley Hotel, Beaumaris

Bulkeley Hotel coffee shop

Bulkeley Hotel coffee shop

Date

25 March 2016

Location

Beaumaris, Anglesey
SH 60586 76042; 53.26298°N, 4.09163°W

Information

Liberal politician Richard Bulkeley Williams Bulkeley (1801-1875) of Baron Hill, 10th Baronet Williams-Bulkeley of Penrhyn, built the Bulkeley Hotel in Beaumaris for a royal visit to the town in 1832 by the then Princess Victoria. He engaged architects Joseph Aloysius Hansom (1803-1882) – who later invented the Hansom safety cab – and Edward Welch (1806-1868) and construction commenced in 1829. Hansom, from York, and Welch, from Flintshire, had formed an architectural partnership in 1828 and at the time were also engaged on the renovation of Bodelwyddan Castle (1830-1832). Construction of the three-storey, neo-classical Bulkeley Hotel was completed in 1831. It was altered by Bangor architect Peter Shearson Gregory (b 1862) around 1899 and extended in the 1930s by Colwyn Bay architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes (1884-1971). The hotel is a Grade I listed building.

Further Reading

The Bulkeley Hotel;
The Bulkeley Hotel (British Listed Buildings);
More posts about Beaumaris

SEE MORE →

Morfa Aber

Morfa Aber

Morfa Aber

Date

17 January 2016

Location

Abergwyngregyn
SH 64731 73133; 53.23793°N, 4.02829°W

Information

Morfa Aber is a nature reserve managed by Gwynedd Council and forms part of Traeth Lafan, the 9.5km-long expanse of intertidal sand- and mud-flats stretching from Llanfairfechan to Bangor. Traeth Lafan has been designated a Special Protection Area, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Local Nature Reserve.

SEE MORE →

St Mary and St Nicholas Church, Beaumaris

Viscount Bulkeley Memorial

Viscount Bulkeley Memorial. The high-relief sculpture, situated in the chancel, is by Sir Richard Westmacott (1775-1856) of London, who was in his time Britain’s foremost sculptor of public statues. The inscription on the pedestal reads:

To the memory of him,
whose every action both of
public and private life,
was guided by sound principles
and kindest feelings,
this monument is erected
by his sincerely afflicted widow
Elizabeth Harriet
Viscountess Warren Bulkeley

——————

Thomas James
Viscount Warren Bulkeley
of Cashel, in the county of Tipperary,
in the Kingdom of Ireland;
Lord Lieutenant of
the county of Caernarvon;
Chamberlain and Chancellor
of North Wales;
and hereditary Constable
of Beaumaris Castle;
created an English Peer, May 11th 1784,
by the title of
Baron Bulkeley of Beaumaris;
He was born Decr 12th 1752:
and died June 3rd 1822.

(Westmacott was also the author of the Penrhyn Memorial in St Tegai’s Church in Llandygai.)

Date

25 April 2015
Location

Beaumaris, Anglesey

SH 60441 76152; 53.26393°N, 4.09386°W

Information

The town of Beaumaris was founded in 1296 following Edward I’s conquest of Wales. The church dedicated to Saints Mary and Nicholas was built around 1330 to serve the borough. The chancel is a 15th-century addition. Repairs were undertaken by Bangor architect John Hall (d 1828) in 1825 and restoration work was carried out in 1902 by London-based Gothic Revival architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907), who was also engaged in the same year by the 4th Earl of Powis for a major renovation of Powis Castle and Gardens. St Mary and St Nicholas is a parish church of The Church in Wales and is a Grade I listed building.

Further Reading

Church of SS Mary and Nicholas (British Listed Buildings);
St Mary’s and St Nicholas’s Church, Beaumaris (Our Heritage)

SEE MORE →

Beaumaris Cemetery

Beaumaris Cemetery

Beaumaris Cemetery

Date

12 April 2015
Location

Beaumaris, Anglesey

SH 59930 75606; 53.25890°N, 4.10127°W

Information

Beaumaris Cemetery was designed by architect J Francis Clerke and was built between June 1862 and April 1863 on a plot of land given to the town council by Sir Richard Bulkeley Williams-Bulkeley (1801-1875), 10th Baronet, of Baron Hill, who was at the time Member of Parliament for Anglesey and Lord Lieutenant of Caernarvonshire. The cemetery chapel was consecrated in July 1863 by the Bishop of Bangor, James Colquhoun Cambell (1813-1895).

SEE MORE →

Beaumaris Pier

Beaumaris Pier

Beaumaris Pier

Date

28 February 2015
Location

Beaumaris, Anglesey

SH 60575 76001; 53.26261°N, 4.09178°W

Information

Designed by Frederick Foster and constructed from limestone blocks, Beaumaris Pier originally opened in 1846. After being damaged in a storm it was rebuilt in 1872. The original masonry causeway was extended with a wooden-planked deck on iron girders supported by timber piles. Further alterations were made in 1895 when a T-shaped landing stage and a pavilion were added to the pier head. A narrow-gauge railway, carrying hand trucks to convey passengers’ luggage along the length of the pier, was also added at that time.

The Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Company operated both local cruises and services to Liverpool from the pier. Following the decline in the popularity of pleasure cruises during the 1950s, however, the pier fell into disrepair and the cross pier head was subsequently demolished. Various repairs were carried out from the 1960s to the 80s, with ownership of the pier passing to Anglesey Borough Council in 1974.

More recently, as its condition had been allowed to deteriorate over the years, Anglesey County Council oversaw a major refurbishment programme as part of the £5.6 million Anglesey Coastal Environment Project with funding from the European Regional Development Fund and the Welsh Assembly Government. Work on the £2 million upgrade started in March 2011 and the pier was officially re-opened in June 2012. The project involved the following: strengthening the lumber supports with stainless-steel plates; replacing the wooden deck and restoring it to its full original width; renovating the pier-head shelter and the gift kiosk at the entrance; building a new connecting bridge and floating landing stage for use by the local angling and pleasure-cruise vessels that dock at the pier.

The new pontoon was damaged in December 2012 by a storm and high tides and was repaired in March 2013. By August 2013 concerns were being raised over the lack of general maintenance with the County Council not allocating any funds in its budget for the upkeep of the pier. Calls were also made for any money raised by the pier through docking fees to be ring fenced for its ongoing maintenance.

SEE MORE →

Bulkeley Monument, Beaumaris, Anglesey

Bulkeley Monument

Date

28 August 2010
Location

Twr Hill, Beaumaris, Anglesey

SH 59114 77207; 53.27306°N, 4.11420°W
Further Information

Obelisk in memory of Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley (1801-1875). Built from stone from Penmon and completed in 1882.

Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley, 10th Baronet (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Baron Hill, Beaumaris, Anglesey

Baron Hill

Date

28 August 2010
Location

Beaumaris, Anglesey

SH 59804 76548; 53.26733°N, 4.10357°W
Further Information

Former seat of the Bulkeley family, the mansion was originally built in 1618 and reconstructed in 1776 in Neo-Palladian style. It served as a billet for Polish soldiers during WWII and was damaged in a fire at that time. It has been left derelict ever since.

The Bulkeley Family of Baron Hill (penmon.org)
Luxury apartments plan for Baron Hill mansion (Bangor Anglesey Mail, 30 Sep 2009)
Historical photos of Baron Hill (click on the thumbnails to see larger versions)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…