The original church on this site is thought to have been founded by Deiniol the Younger, son of Deiniol, the founder of the city of Bangor. There is virtually no trace left of the original, with the present structure having been built in 1848.
In February 2019, to mark the 500th anniversary of his death, 144 of Leonardo da Vinci’s drawings from the Royal Collection went on display in 12 concurrent exhibitions across the UK, with each venue hosting 12 separate works.
Harrison’s Garden by Bristol-based installation artist Luke Jerram (b 1974) is an “imagined landscape and garden of clocks”. The ensemble of over 2,000 clocks, many of which were donated by the public, is currently (16 June – 4 November 2018) on display on the derelict third floor of Penrhyn Castle‘s keep as part of its tour of National Trust properties.
The inspiration for the installation was the clockmaker John Harrison (1693 – 1776) who spent much of his life developing a series of marine chronometers in the pursuit of the Longitude Prize. Although the prize was ultimately never awarded, Harrison’s contributions led to major improvements in safety at sea. His timepieces provided a reliable means of keeping a reference time to which the local time, as determined by astronomical observations, could be compared in order to establish a vessel’s position east or west of the Greenwich meridian.
Covering an area of 57 hectares, Anfield Cemetery was designed by landscape architect Edward Kemp (1817-1891) and opened in 1863. Anfield was the second municipal cemetery to be opened by Liverpool Corporation outside of the city centre, where the existing burial grounds had become overcrowded.
Plans for the 7.8-hectare Menai Science Parc (M-SParc) were submitted in December 2014 with Anglesey Council granting outline permission in May 2015. The Welsh Government provided £10 million of funding with a further £10 million grant from the EU’s European Regional Development Funding allowing the first phase of the development to proceed. Construction started in 2016.
The flagship building, one of a planned total of eight on the park, was designed by Newcastle-based architects FaulknerBrowns and will provide 5,000 square metres of office, laboratory and workshop space to a number of business tenants. It is planned to open in April 2018.