Vision in Grey

Vision in Grey

Watch Vision in Grey on YouTube

Locations

  1. Eglwys Garmon Sant, Betws Garmon
  2. Lucchesi Bronze Nymph, Chirk Castle
  3. Cupid in Disguise (John Gibson), Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool
  4. George’s Dock Ventilation and Control Station, Liverpool
  5. Cupid and Butterfly (John Gibson), Bodelwyddan Castle
  6. Liverpool Cenotaph
  7. Lion (John Thomas), Britannia Bridge
  8. Welsh Highland Railway, Beddgelert
  9. Prestongrange
  10. Pen-y-Bwlch, Mynydd Llandegai
  11. Menai Suspension Bridge
  12. Alwen Reservoir
  13. Sappers’ Bridge, Betws-y-Coed
  14. Pen-y-Bwlch, Mynydd Llandegai
  15. HMS Conway, Treborth
  16. Bodelwyddan Castle
  17. Travelodge, Musselburgh
  18. Stairs
  19. National Slate Museum, Llanberis
  20. Oriel Mostyn, Llandudno
  21. Casa de los Coroneles, La Oliva, Fuerteventura
  22. St Michael’s Church, Betws-y-Coed
  23. Bodelwyddan Castle
  24. Christ Church, Glanogwen, Bethesda
  25. Museum of Liverpool
  26. Pin Mill, Bodnant Garden
  27. Ty Menai, Parc Menai
  28. Museum of Liverpool
  29. St George’s Hall, Liverpool
  30. Soldiers Point Hotel, Holyhead
  31. Coleg Menai Friars Site, Bangor
  32. Treborth Hall
  33. Railway Institute, Bangor
  34. The Round House, Llandudno Junction
  35. Rhyd-y-groes Wind Farm
  36. Stwlan Dam, Blaenau Ffestiniog
  37. Llyn Stwlan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
  38. Treforys, Cwmystradllyn
  39. Gwylfa Hiraethog, Denbigh Moor
  40. Cwmorthin Quarry from Wrysgan Quarry
  41. Penrhyn Quarry
  42. Waterfall, Afon y Llan
  43. Puffin Island from Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries
  44. Yr Elen
  45. Rhyl Flats and North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farms from Great Orme
  46. Trwyn Du Lighthouse, Penmon Point
  47. Tanygrisiau Dam
  48. Stwlan Dam
  49. Rhosydd Quarry
  50. Caban, Penrhyn Quarry
  51. Llangefni ROC Post
  52. Hanson Jetty, Llanddulas
  53. Blondin Pylon, Pen yr Orsedd Quarry
  54. Blondin Cable, Dinorwic Quarry
  55. Head Bath House, Prestongrange
  56. Cults Bricks, Cupar
  57. Marconi Long Wave Station, Cefn Du
  58. Wrysgan Quarry
  59. Maenofferen Quarry
  60. Klondyke Mill, Gwydyr Forest
  61. Drum House, Porth Wen Brickworks
  62. Aerial Ropeway Terminus, Cwm Bychan
  63. Water Wheel, Felin Fawr Works
  64. National Slate Museum, Llanberis
  65. Garreg Fawr Aerial Ropeway
  66. Caban, Penrhyn Quarry
  67. Fronllwydd Incline, Penrhyn Quarry
  68. Weighbridge, Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries
  69. Komatsu Wheel Loader, Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries
  70. Hy-Mac, Garreg Fawr Quarry
  71. Collapsed gallery, Matilda, Dinorwic Quarry
  72. Duke of Lancaster
  73. A3 Incline Drumhouse, Dinorwic Quarry
  74. Smoke Flue Adit, Cwmorthin Quarry
  75. Fox Bank Mill, Penmaenmawr Granite Quarries
  76. 1938 Compressor House, Dinorwic Quarry
  77. Slate Mill, Maenofferen Quarry
  78. Minffordd Hospital
  79. Baron Hill, Beaumaris
  80. Llanlleiana Porcelain Works, Cemaes
  81. Drum house, Garret, Dinorwic Quarry
  82. Aerial Ropeway, Cwm Bychan
  83. Croesor Quarry
  84. Baron Hill, Beaumaris
  85. Gwrych Castle
  86. Mavisbank House
  87. Coast Artillery School, Great Orme
  88. Duke of Lancaster
  89. Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay
  90. Machpellah Cemetery, Deiniolen
  91. St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys
  92. Machpellah Cemetery, Deiniolen
  93. St Michael’s Church, Betws-y-Coed
  94. St Edwen’s Church (Llanedwen Parish Church)
  95. Glanadda Cemetery, Bangor
  96. St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys
  97. St Llechid’s Church, Llanllechid
  98. St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys
  99. St Cross Church, Tal-y-bont
  100. St Michael’s Church, Pentre Berw
  101. St Michael’s Church, Betws-y-Coed
  102. St Llechid’s Church, Llanllechid
  103. St Cross Church, Tal-y-bont
  104. St Llechid’s Church, Llanllechid
  105. St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys
  106. Machpellah Cemetery, Deiniolen
  107. St Cross Church, Tal-y-bont
  108. St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys
  109. St Mary’s Church, Tregarth
  110. Tanysgafell Cemetery
  111. St Michael’s Church, Pentre Berw
  112. St Cross Church, Tal-y-bont

YouTube standard view

Ynys Gored Goch / Whitebait Island

Ynys Gored Goch in the Menai Strait with Britannia Bridge behind

Ynys Gored Goch in the Menai Strait with Britannia Bridge behind

Date

8 November 2014
Location

From Church Island, Menai Bridge

SH 55108 71736; 53.22284°N, 4.17175°W

Information

Differences in the tides at either end of the channel separating Anglesey from the mainland give rise to strong currents flowing in either direction at different times through the Menai Strait. The stretch between the two bridges (Telford’s Menai Suspension Bridge and Stephenson’s Britannia Bridge) – known as the Swellies – is the most hazardous and experiences various whirlpool currents owing to the rocks. Tidal conditions in the strait were, however, favourable for catching fish using traps. These employed weirs that allowed fish to enter at high tide but then left them enclosed at low tide. One such fishery was located on the 100m-long island in the strait close to Britannia Bridge. Ynys Gored Goch (literally, Red Weir Island, but known in English as Whitebait Island) is documented as having been owned by the Diocese of Bangor in the late 16th century, when it was leased to a Thomas Fletcher of Treborth for an annual rent of £3 plus a barrel of fish. There are two buildings on the half-hectare island: the main house together with the now converted smoke house where the fish were cured. During the early 20th century visitors could cross to the island by boat to avail themselves of a ‘whitebait tea’ for a shilling. The church authorities sold the island in 1988 and it has had a number of private owners since then. Mains water and electricity were installed in 1997 and for a while the house was used for holiday accommodation.

 

SEE MORE →

Britannia Bridge

One of the four limestone lions, by sculptor John Thomas, guarding the bridge at rail level

Date

2 October 2010
Location

Britannia Bridge, Menai Strait

SH 54254 70899 53.21509°N, 4.18414°W

Further Information

“Opened in 1850 to carry the Chester & Holyhead Railway, this tubular bridge, and that at Conwy, were the forerunners of modern box girder bridges. Their engineer, Robert Stephenson, surmised that if the top of the trough girders were enclosed, the girders might be self-supporting, a concept confirmed by strength of materal studies and large-scale model testing.

“As at Conwy, the tracks were carried within two riveted tubes formed of wrought iron plates. The four tubes for the two 460 feet mainstream spans, each weighing 1800 tonnes, were built on the Caernarfon shore then floated out and jacked up 100 feet onto the towers. The 230 feet side spans and the main spans for each track were connected end to end through the towers to form 1511 feet long girders, providing material economy through continuity. Hitherto, the longest wrought iron span was 31 feet and 6 inches.

“In 1970 a fire destroyed the protective timber roof above the tube, the heat causing the roof to tear apart, losing continuity. The bridge was replaced with new main spans of steel arches, the side spans being divided into three and rebuilt in reinforced concrete. The new bridge also carries the A5 road above the rail tracks to relieve the Menai Suspension Bridge of heavy traffic.”

 — Gwynedd Council information board.

The original construction used limestone from the nearby quarries at Penmon. Following the fire in 1970, the bridge was reopened to trains in 1972 and the new upper road deck opened in 1980.

Britannia Bridge (Wikipedia)
John Thomas (sculptor) (Wikipedia)
Photo of Britannia Bridge Lions, 1890 (francisfrith.com)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…