St Julitta’s Church, Capel Curig

St Julitta's Church

St Julitta’s Church

Date

18 October 2014
Location

Capel Curig

SH 71839 57967; 53.10344°N, 3.91579°W

Information

The village of Capel Curig took its name from the chapel there dedicated to Curig Llwyd – Curig the Blessed, 6th-century Bishop of Llanbadarn. The original chapel would have been of timber construction and this was replaced by a stone-built edifice in the 13th century which was extended around 1500. In medieval times the chapel belonged to the Priory of Beddgelert with it later becoming part of the parish of Llandegai. In Norman times the Welsh Curig was displaced by St Curig, or Cyriacus, the 4th-century three-year-old boy martyr from Iconium (now Konya in present-day Turkey). In 1837 alterations were carried out by George Hay Dawkins Pennant, second cousin of the first Baron Penrhyn of Penrhyn in the county of Louth and father-in-law of the first Baron Penrhyn of Llandygai. Rectangular windows, a new entrance and bellcote were added and the interior was plastered with the medieval roof beams being covered by a barrel-vaulted ceiling. Telford’s A5 London-to-Holyhead route passes through the village and with the increasing numbers of visitors in the 19th century the church became too small to serve the congregational needs. In 1883 a new church, designed by architect Goronwy Owen, opened on the main road. This became St Curig’s Church* and the dedication of the original was changed to Julitta, mother of the boy martyr. Further renovation work was carried out on Julitta’s in the 1950s and it was deconsecrated in the 1970s. It is now in the care of the charity The Friends of St Julitta’s, who leased the building from the Church in Wales in 1998 and who carried out additional restoration of the church, the smallest in Snowdonia, from 2001 to 2004.

[*St Curig’s Church is now a B&B and bunkhouse run by Lady Alice Douglas, daughter of David Harrington Angus Douglas, 12th Marquess of Queensberry. The building was deconsecrated in 1992 and was acquired by the current owner in 1998.]

 

SEE MORE →

Llynnau Mymbyr

Llynnau Mymbyr from the footbridge at Plas y Brenin, the National Mountain Centre for Wales

Date

8 July 2012
Location

Capel Curig

SH 71652 57737; 53.10133°N, 3.91848°W

Information

The twin lakes Llynnau Mymbyr lie in the valley between Moel Siabod to the south and the Glyderau mountains to the north. The National Mountain Centre for Wales, Plas y Brenin, is located at the eastern end of the lakes, which it makes use of for kayaking and canoeing courses.

Llynnau Mymbyr (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…