Carlisle Cathedral

Barrel-vaulted ceiling of the choir

Date

25 October 2010
Location

Carlisle, Cumbria

NY 39851 55925 54.89440°N, 2.93935°W

Further Information

The Cathedral dates back to 1123 when it was was established as an Augustinian monastery. It received cathedral status in 1133 and is today the seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. Part of the nave was demolished by the Scottish Presbyterian Army for stone to reinforce Carlisle Castle. The 14th-century barrel-vaulted painted ceiling of the choir was renovated in 1856. The East Window is the largest and most complex in England in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style. The window still contains much of its original medieval stained glass.

Carlisle CathedralCarlisle Cathedral (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…