Cedryn Quarry

Cedryn Quarry, looking towards Llyn Eigiau

Date

25 February 2012
Location

Cwm Eigiau, Carneddau

SH 71958 63581; 53.15391°N, 3.91625°W

Information

Records of quarrying for slate at Cedryn date back to 1827. In 1874 the Caedryn Slate Quarry Company (incorporated in 1863) became the Caedryn and Cwm Eigiau Slate Company, the operation then also encompassing the other small slate quarry in the cwm. The slate, however, was not of a high quality and the company went out of business in 1885.

Product from the quarry was originally transported by pack horse to the quays on the river Conwy at Dolgarrog. Around 1860, pack horses were superseded by draught animals as a four-mile-long horse-powered tramway opened from the quarry to Porth Llwyd wharf. Around 1863 the Cedryn Quarry Tramway was extended by a mile westwards to also serve Cwm Eigiau Quarry. The extended line — the Eigiau Quarry Tramway — operated until around 1888.

Llyn Eigiau

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…