Kilmartin Grave Slabs

Kilmartin Grave Slabs

Date

23 August 2018

Location

Kilmartin, Argyll and Bute
NR 83445 98841; 56.13297°N, 5.48649°W

Information

Kilmartin Stones are a collection of decoratively carved grave-cover slabs dating from the 13th to the 18th centuries. 23 slabs are on view in a shelter in the churchyard of Kilmartin Parish Church. Such grave covers were something of a status symbol for the local West Highland warrior class, with common themes for the carvings being swords and effigies. Other common motifs include hunting scenes, shears and fabulous animals.

The stones were moved inside a shelter in 1956 to protect them from the weather. This lapidarium was originally a mausoleum and was built in 1627 for Neil Campbell, Bishop of Argyll, and his wife Christine, daughter of John Carswell, who built Carnasserie Castle.

The collection is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

Further Reading

Kilmartin Stones (Historic Environment Scotland)

SEE MORE →

Luss Parish Church

Luss Parish Church

Date

20 August 2018

Location

Luss, Argyll and Bute
NS 36109 92861; 56.10031°N, 4.63650°W

Information

Luss Parish Church was built in 1875 by Sir James Colquhoun (1844-1907), 5th Baronet Colquhoun of Luss, as a memorial to his father who drowned in Loch Lomond in 1873 on the way back from a hunting trip.

Further Reading

Loch Lomond, Luss

SEE MORE →

Eglwys Sant Tysilio

Eglwys Sant Tysilio

Eglwys Sant Tysilio

Date

8 November 2014 (Feast day of Saint Tysilio)
Location

Church Island, Menai Bridge

SH 55181 71768; 53.22315°N, 4.17067°W

Information

The seventh-century Welsh saint Tysilio, or Sulio, was the second son of Brochwel Ysgithrog, King of Powys. He turned his back on the royal court and military service, opting instead for a religious life and later became an abbot. He is believed to have founded a hermitage on Church Island (Ynys Tysilio) in the Menai Strait. He also built churches in Meifod, Powys and Saint-Suliac, Brittany – the latter being the place to where he fled after refusing to marry his brother Cynan’s widow and succeed to the throne of Powys; it is also where he ended his days in 640.

Church Island is now accessed by a short causeway from Belgian Promenade in Menai Bridge. The churchyard covers the whole of the one-hectare island and the present church, which is still in use, was built in the 15th century and was restored at the end of the 19th century. Eglwys Sant Tysilio was a parish church until 1858 and was formerly a chapel of ease of St Mary’s Church in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

Further Reading

Tysilio (Wikipedia);
Church of Saint Tysilio (angleseychurches.co.uk)

 

SEE MORE →