Cockpen Churchyard

Cockpen Churchyard

Cockpen Churchyard


25 December 2015


Cockpen, Bonnyrigg
NT 31906 64223; 55.86633°N, 3.08963°W


Cockpen Parish Church, situated to the south of the town of Bonnyrigg, was designed in 1816 by Scottish architect Richard Crichton (c 1771-1817), who had trained under John and Robert Adam and was a burgess of the city of Edinburgh. Following his death, however, the church was built between 1817 and 1820 by his former apprentices the brothers Richard and Robert Dickson, who took over his practice and completed a number of other unfinished projects.

In 1975 the nearby parish of Carrington, whose church building was later converted for commercial use, was merged with Cockpen. Cockpen Church is owned by The Church of Scotland and is still in use, although the position of Minister is currently vacant. The church is a Category A listed building.

Further Reading

Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church (Wikipedia)