Rickerby Park, Carlisle

Memorial Bridge, looking towards Dixon's Chimney

Memorial Bridge, looking towards Dixon’s Chimney

Date

31 July 2016

Location

Rickerby, Carlisle
NY 40901 56830; 54.90266°N, 2.92317°W

Information

In 1920 Carlisle Citizens’ League and Carlisle Corporation purchased the land to create a public park at Rickerby for £11,500 as a site for a memorial cenotaph and bridge to commemorate the 10,000 local men and women who lost their lives in the First World War. The 12 metre high cenotaph, which cost £5,000, was designed by Edinburgh architect Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer (1864-1929) and was made from local Shap granite. The Memorial Bridge over the River Eden is of cantilever construction and has a main span of 61 metres. Rickerby Park was officially opened on 25 May 1922.

SEE MORE →

Dixon’s Chimney, Shaddon Mill, Carlisle

Dixon's Chimney

Date

25 October 2010
Location

Carlisle, Cumbria

NY 39463 55664 54.89201°N, 2.94534°W

Further Information

Restored by Carlisle City Council in 1999, Dixon’s Chimney now stands at 270 feet. Completed in 1836 with an original height of 305 feet, it served Shaddon Mill, the largest cotton mill in England at that time. The mill building was converted into luxury apartments by developer Story Homes in 2005. It also houses part of the Cumbria Institute of Arts (part of the University of Cumbria).

Engineering TimelinesHistorical Carlisle

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…