Electric Mountain

“The Pelton Wheel

“This Pelton wheel turbine was commissioned in Cwm Dyli Hyro-Electric Power Station built in Nant Gwynant in 1906.

“The unit was No. 1 of four generating a total of 6 MW to supply the slate quarries of Blaenau Ffestiniog, Dinorwig, Bethesda and Dyffryn Nantlle.

“All units were replaced in 1988 and this runner erected here in 1997. The runner now points towards Elidir, First Hydro’s “Electric Mountain”, and to Dinorwig Power Station deep within.”

Date

12 March 2017

Location

Llanberis
SH 58092 60037; 53.11856°N, 4.12189°W

Information

Electric Mountain;
Neville Foulkes

SEE MORE →

Dinorwic Quarry (9)

Looking down on Llyn Peris and the outbuildings of Dinorwig Power Station in what was the Wellington district of the quarry. The pumped-storage hydroelectric power station itself is housed deep within Elidir Fawr mountain in what is the largest man-made cavern in Europe.

Date

5 February 2012
Location

Dinorwic Quarry, Llanberis

SH 59471 60212; 53.12050°N, 4.10137°W

Information

The south-western aspect of Elidir Fawr, above the lake Llyn Peris and the town of Llanberis, is dominated by the sculpted landscape formed by the now quiet galleries of Dinorwic Quarry. Commercial quarrying of slate started there in 1787 and production continued until the business closed in 1969…

Dinorwic Quarry;
Other posts in this series

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Peris Boat

Peris Boat

Date

26 October 2011
Location

Llanberis

SH 58089 60042; 53.11860°N, 4.12194°W

Information

This restored 16th-century boat is on display at the Electric Mountain visitor centre in Llanberis. The clinker-built craft is typical for the area and the design probably evolved from earlier Viking and Norman traditions. It was constructed from overlapping oak planks that would have been split from sections of tree trunk with hammer and wedges.

The boat, measuring 6.3 m from stem to stern and 2.2 m across the beam, would have been rowed by two or three men and was most likely used to transport passengers, goods and livestock via Llyn Peris lake.

Llyn Peris was emptied in 1979 as part of the work required to increase its capacity for its future role as the lower reservoir of the pumped storage Dinorwig Power Station that was being built. The Peris Boat is one of three different historic craft that were found when the lake was drained.

Analysis of the timber tree rings revealed that wood from at least three different trees were used to build the boat and that these were felled between 1547 and 1549, making it around 430 years old when it was found.

When they were discovered, the remains of the boat were taken to the Electric Mountain workshops, where quarter-scale replicas of the planks were made. These were then used to build a scale model from which the 3D shape of the craft could be recreated. This was then used to fabricate a skeletal frame to which the original timbers were attached.

Electric Mountain (First Hydro)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…