Llanberis Bomb Store

Standard gauge railway tunnel

Standard gauge railway tunnel

Date

6 January 2013
Location

Glyn Rhonwy Isaf Quarry, Llanberis

SH 57047 61019; 53.12710°N, 4.13793°W
Further Information

Llanberis Bomb Store

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Dark Places

Caban, Dinorwic Quarry · Fron-boeth Quarry Tunnel, Cwm Croesor · Llanberis Bomb Store · Moel Faban Quarry · Dinas Railway Tunnel, Tregarth · Braich Tunnel, Dinorwic Quarry

‘Dark Places’ on YouTube

Blaen-y-nant Molybdenum Mine
Braichmelyn
Coed y Dinas Copper Mine
Croesor Quarry
Cwm Ceunant Copper Mine
Dinorwic Quarry
Dorothea Quarry
Fron-boeth Quarry
Glyn Rhonwy Isaf Quarry
Caseg Valley
Moel Faban Quarry

Rhosydd Quarry
Tan-y-garth Arsenic Mine
Dinas Tunnel, Tregarth
Dolbadarn Castle
Roughcastle Tunnel, Falkirk
Llanberis Bomb Store
Llanddulas Jetty
Penrhyn Quarry
ROC Llangefni
Coast Artillery School, Great Orme

Glyn Rhonwy Quarry

From the waste tips of Cefn Du Quarry looking out across Llyn Padarn to Dinorwic Quarry on the slopes of Elidir Fawr, with Y Garn and Glyder Fawr to the right (D)

Date

13 March 2011
Location

Glyn Rhonwy, Llanberis

(A) SH 56960 60980; 53.12672°N, 4.13921°W
(B) SH 56392 60760; 53.12460°N, 4.14759°W
(C) SH 56101 60644; 53.12348°N, 4.15189°W
(D) SH 55640 60500; 53.12206°N, 4.15870°W

Information

On the slopes of Cefn Du, in a fairly narrow band extending from the roadside of the A4086 through Llanberis up to the coll with Moel Eilio, there can be found a number of disused slate quarries. Starting from the bottom, these are: Glyn Rhonwy Isaf (with three pits), Glyn Rhonwy Uchaf (two pits), Cook and Ddol (two pits), Cefn Du and, finally, Chwarel Fawr. Quarrying operations in this area date back to the end of the 18th century and had ceased by 1930.

In 1939 the Air Ministry converted the lower pit of Glyn Rhonwy Isaf into a storage facility with a capacity for 18,000 tons of bombs. The store was constructed with two levels, the pit being backfilled with broken slate to a depth of 40 feet over the top of the roof of the upper level. Unfortunately, skimping on costs led to structural defects which caused a massive collapse of about two thirds of the building only six months after it had been built. A train, laden with a bomb payload in excess of 14,000 tons, was in the depot at the time of the collapse. The remaining underground section was thereafter abandoned and the collapsed area used for open storage. The facility was closed in 1956 but was not fully cleared of all explosive material until 1975.

Gwynedd Council owns the land comprising the former Glyn Rhonwy (Isaf and Uchaf) and Cook and Ddol Quarries, and has, for a number of years, been seeking to attract developers to the site. A land reclamation project in the lower parcel of the site (comprising the former Glyn Rhonwy Isaf Quarry) was completed in 2000, which included building an access road and creating various development plateaux. Further clearing of the site and upgrading the infrastructure with the aim of enticing investment is still underway.

Various ambitious schemes for the site have fallen through in the past – including plans in 2002 and 2003 for an indoor snow dome. In 2006 the Guardian reported that eight business groups were competing to develop the site, with one scheme including plans for a ski run, beach, spa, climbing wall, hotel, apartments and timeshares, and another with plans for a mountain bike centre featuring a mile-long cable car ride over the quarries. In 2009 Manchester-based consultancy DTZ put forward details of a scheme for mixed-use development, including business units, residential areas, outdoor leisure businesses and a campsite and caravan park.

An area originally part of the Glyn Rhonwy redevelopment site was sold in 1985 and is occupied by the Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics biotech plant (formerly Euro/DPC).

Glyn Rhonwy was used as a location in the making of the 1988 Ron Howard film Willow.

Orbs in the Bomb Store; Llanberis Bomb Store; Llanberis RAF Reserve Depot (Bomb Store) (Subterranea Britannica); Aerial photo of Glyn Rhonwy Quarry, 1994 (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…