From this site, now overshadowed by the new A55 trunk road, stone products from the quarries on the upper slopes of Penmaenmawr were exported by sea and rail.
1832 – 1847 Jetty
In 1832 Brundrit and Whiteway of Runcorn began developing Penmaen stone quarry above here at a place called ‘Y Jolly’ for the manufacture of cobbles.
A jetty was erected where coasters could be easily loaded. Wagons carried the setts down on self-activating inclines – the loaded wagons descending and pulling the empty wagons back up.
1847 – 1940s Railway and Jetty
When the Chester/Holyhead railway passed here after 1847 the Penmaen Company constructed a quay with railway sidings for the distribution of stone products by rail as well as by sea.
The first jetty was improved twice in 1872 and 1888. In 1913 a new 200 metre long jetty was built. The remains of the wooden supports can be seen below the wall.
Large concrete storage hoppers were constructed on either side of the incline where it joined the jetty. Built in 1914 and 1923 they had a capacity to hold over 10,000 tons of macadam (crushed stone). Both were demolished in the 1980s.
1940s – 1955 Jetty only
By the 1940s the rail sidings had become redundant. The last ship to be loaded at the jetty was the MV Cadbourne in 1955. The jetty was demolished in 1960.
1987 – 1989 A55 Trunk Road
The Welsh Office commissioned the scheme for the Penmaenmawr Bypass in the 1980s which included the demolition of the disused granite storage hoppers in this area as well as reorganisation of the railway sidings.
The 230m Goat Inn Viaduct that took their place was the most complex and technically demanding structure on the project. This, the associated soft estate landscaping areas, and the rest of the A55 remains under the management of North Wales Trunk Road Agency on behalf of the Welsh Assembly Government.
— Welsh Assembly Government information board