Anglesey Woodland Festival

Anglesey Woodland Festival

Date

29 September 2018

Location

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey
SH 52085 69639; 53.20317°N, 4.21601°W

Information

Anglesey Woodland Festival;
Plas Newydd;
More posts in the Plas Newydd series

SEE MORE →

Anglesey Woodland Festival

Eagle Owl

Eagle Owl

Date

26 September 2015

The tenth annual Anglesey Woodland Festival was held in Dairy Wood in the grounds of Plas Newydd on 26 and 27 September 2015. The free event is organised by the Ynys Mon Outdoor Learning Wales Network Group and the National Trust.

Location

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey
SH 52085 69639; 53.20317°N, 4.21601°W

Information

Plas Newydd;
More posts in the Plas Newydd series

SEE MORE →

Rex Whistler’s Mural, Plas Newydd

Trompe-l’œil

Trompe-l’œil. Detail from one of the two side walls in Plas Newydd’s dining room. The impression of relief on this flat surface is astonishingly convincing.

Date

21 June 2015
Location

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey

SH 52085 69639; 53.20317°N, 4.21601°W

Information

Reginald John “Rex” Whistler (1905-1944) was born in Kent and, after initially starting to study art at the Royal Academy, attended University College London’s Slade School of Art from age 17 to 21. Not long afterwards he completed his first major commission, a mural entitled The Expedition in Pursuit of Rare Meats (unveiled in 1927) for the restaurant of the Tate Gallery (now known as Tate Britain). Whistler was a talented artist who worked in a great variety of disciplines, including portraits and landscapes, murals, posters and book illustrations, porcelain designs, and stage and costume design. He was a popular guest at many country houses where he created a number of murals, which were in vogue in the inter-war years. During the Second World War he served as a Lieutenant in the Welsh Guards and was sent to Normandy after the D-Day landings. He was killed there in Caen on his first day of action.

In the 1930s the 6th Marquess of Anglesey had to sell off the Paget family home in Staffordshire and Plas Newydd, the family’s country retreat in Anglesey, became their home. The Marchioness, Lady Victoria Marjorie Harriet Manners, took charge of re-decorating the property and Whistler was commissioned in 1936 to create a mural for the dining room. Completed in the 1937, the piece, entitled Claudian Fantasy, is at 17 metres long the largest canvas painting in the UK. The work incorporates many tricks of perspective and continues onto two side walls giving a fascinating three-dimensional effect.

Further Reading

Rex Whistler;
Rex Whistler: A Talent Cut Short – review (The Guardian);
Plas Newydd

SEE MORE →

Plas Newydd

Silver Waterloo statuette

Silver Waterloo statuette

Date

21 June 2015
Location

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey

SH 52085 69639; 53.20317°N, 4.21601°W

Information

Plas Newydd estate, which has been owned by the National Trust since 1976, dates back to the 14th century and its Grade I listed house was rebuilt in the 1790s as a country retreat for Henry Paget (1744-1812), 1st Earl of Uxbridge (2nd creation) by architect James Wyatt (1746-1813). Upon Paget’s death, his son Henry William Paget (1768-1854) inherited the estate and became the 2nd Earl of Uxbridge.

Henry William Paget was a prominent politician and military commander. He served as MP for Carnarvon and also for Milborne Port in Somerset. His military career started in the 1790s and he is best known for his role in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 where he was, as a Lieutenant-General, second in command to Arthur Wellesley (1769-1852), 1st Duke of Wellington, and was in command of the British, Belgian and Dutch cavalry. Having led the cavalry charge, he was, towards the end of the battle, struck by cannon fire, whereupon he is reputed to have turned to Wellington and remarked: “By God, Sir, I have lost my leg.” His right leg had to be amputated and it was later buried and given a gravestone, which subsequently became something of a tourist attraction. Within a few weeks of the end of the battle he was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey by the Prince Regent. He was promoted to full General in 1819 and to Field Marshal in 1846. He also served as Master-General of the Ordnance and Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland.

Following the colourful lifestyle and extravagantly lavish spending of Henry Cyril Paget (1875-1905), 5th Marquess, his cousin the 6th Marquess, Charles Henry Alexander Paget (1885-1947) had to sell the family seat in Staffordshire in the 1930s and Plas Newydd became the new family home. After the house and grounds were opened to the public, the 7th Marquess, George Charles Henry Victor Paget (1922-2013), retained private rooms within the property until his death. His study is now also open to the public.

Further Reading

Plas Newydd

SEE MORE →

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Volvo Garage

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Volvo Garage

Date

15 February 2015
Location

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

SH 52607 71599; 53.22092°N, 4.20911°W

Information

At 58 characters long (the digraphs ‘ch’ and ‘ll’ are single letters in the Welsh alphabet), the place name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is said to be the longest in Europe and resulted from a local initiative in Victorian times aimed at boosting tourism. The name is Welsh for The church of Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the fierce whirlpool and the church of Tysilio by the red cave. St Mary’s is the local anglican parish church, rebuilt in 1853, and St Tysilio’s church is located in the neighbouring town of Menai Bridge. The village is also, more conveniently, known as Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll (its original name), Llanfairpwll and Llanfair PG.

Originally a rural hamlet, Llanfairpwll grew in size and importance with 19th-century developments in transport infrastructure. In the 1820s Thomas Telford’s new road was built through the village on its path across Anglesey to the port of Holyhead. This formed part of the mail route from London to Dublin. And later the Chester and Holyhead Railway also came to the village, with its station — which is now a request stop — opening in 1848. The expanded name was adopted in the 1860s giving the station the longest name in Britain in an effort to encourage travellers to stop in the village.

Next to the former station building stands the James Pringle Weavers’ outlet. This visitor centre and department store, owned by The Edinburgh Woollen Mill, has been closed since it was damaged in October 2013 by a fire caused by an electrical fault in a fridge in the restaurant kitchen. As Pringles welcomed up to 20 coaches per day, its closure and the subsequent loss of all the coach-trip visitors has adversely affected the village’s economy. Pringles is scheduled to re-open on 1 March 2014.

Further Reading

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (Wikipedia)

 

SEE MORE →

St Mary’s Churchyard, Llanfairpwll

St Mary's, Llanfairpwll

St Mary’s, Llanfairpwll

Date

17 August 2013
Location

Llanfairpwll, Anglesey

SH 53640 71199; 53.21761°N, 4.19346°W

Information

St Mary’s, located close to the shore of the Menai Strait, is The Church in Wales’ parish church for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Religious use of the site is thought to date back to the 7th century. The present church was built in 1853 and replaced a medieval structure demolished in 1852.

History of St Mary’s Llanfairpwll (The Church in Wales);
Pronunciation of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

 

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…