Fatlips Castle

Fatlips Castle

Fatlips Castle


26 August 2015


Minto Craigs, Scottish Borders
NT 58201 20870; 55.47982°N, 2.66288°W



Fatlips Castle

“The original pele tower was built by the Turnbulls of Bedrule in the early 16th century, before being effectively destroyed by the Earl of Hertford in 1545. Very little remained.

“The castle was re-built in its current format in 1857 by the Elliots of Minto. It was modified to designs by the famous architect, Sir Robert Lorimer, in 1897 for the 4th Earl of Minto and was used as a museum until the late 1960s when it was closed and secured.

“The origin of the name is uncertain, but one idea is that it derives from the look of Turnbull of Barnhills. There are other stories, including that of a goat on the dunion which warned of the approaching English, or that gentlemen were traditionally allowed to kiss one of the ladies on entering.

“In 2011 Tweed Forum, with funding from Historic Scotland, the Elliots of Minto and Scottish Borders Council, commenced consolidation caused by major vandalism. The work was completed in March 2013 to the original Lorimer design.”

— Information plaque

Further Reading

Fatlips Castle
(Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland)
Fatlips Castle (Wikipedia)