Capel Garmon Parish Church Cemetery

Capel Garmon Parish Church

Capel Garmon Parish Church

Date

13 September 2014
Location

Capel Garmon, Conwy

SH 81545 55449; 53.08307°N, 3.76996°W

Information

The former Anglican church in Capel Garmon was dedicated to the Welsh saint Garmon, traditionally identified with Saint Germanus of Auxerre (c 378-448) who visited Britain around 429, shortly after the Roman withdrawal. A number of previous churches occupied the site. The previous one was built in 1789 and by 1862 this had become ruinous and was rebuilt by Lancaster architect Edward Graham Paley in 1862-63. The present building was originally a chapel of ease (a subsidiary church) to Llanrwst before becoming a parish church in its own right in 1927. Ownership was transferred to the Church in Wales in 1939. The building was deconsecrated in 1994, made redundant the following year, and sold in 2006.

Acknowledgement: grateful thanks are due to Rebecca Rabjohns, Estates Officer of The Representative Body of the Church in Wales, for kindly providing some of the historical data.

Further Reading

St Garmon’s Church, Capel Garmon (Wikipedia)

 

SEE MORE →

Foel Quarry / Moel Siabod Slate and Slab Works

Flooded quarry pit

Flooded quarry pit

Date

6 July 2013
Location

Moel Siabod

SH 71788 55546; 53.08168°N, 3.91557°W

Information

Foel Quarry was in operation from around the 1830s to the 1880s. The slate quarry and slab works was located around the 450m contour on the north-eastern flank of Carnedd Moel Siabod (872m). A series of tramways and inclines for transporting the finished products led down to Pont Cyfyng, the bridge over the Afon Llugwy on the eastern side of Capel Curig.

Moel Siabod Slate and Slab Works (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales)

 

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Llynnau Mymbyr

Llynnau Mymbyr from the footbridge at Plas y Brenin, the National Mountain Centre for Wales

Date

8 July 2012
Location

Capel Curig

SH 71652 57737; 53.10133°N, 3.91848°W

Information

The twin lakes Llynnau Mymbyr lie in the valley between Moel Siabod to the south and the Glyderau mountains to the north. The National Mountain Centre for Wales, Plas y Brenin, is located at the eastern end of the lakes, which it makes use of for kayaking and canoeing courses.

Llynnau Mymbyr (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…

Llyn Elsi

Looking across Llyn Elsi towards Moel Siabod

Date

26 May 2012
Location

Gwydyr Forest

SH 78398 55533; 53.08311°N, 3.81694°W

Information

Llyn Elsi is a reservoir in the Gwydyr Forest about a mile to the south of the town of Betws-y-coed, to which it supplies water. The lake was dammed for this purpose in 1914.

Erected in
Commemoration
Of the opening of the
Bettwsycoed Water Works
By the Rt Hon The Earl of Ancaster
By whose generosity
The right was granted to the
Bettwsycoed U.D.C.
To a water supply from
Elsi Lake
June 18th 1914
 — monument inscription

Llyn Elsi (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…