Plas Brereton, Caernarfon

Plas Brereton

Plas Brereton

Date

19 March 2016

Location

Bangor Road, Caernarfon
SH 49128 64492; 53.15611°N, 4.25782°W

Information

Plas Brereton is a 19th century villa overlooking the Menai Strait on the north-eastern outskirts of Caernarfon. The villa is set in an 11-acre estate which also contains a lodge, a former stable block, a former dairy, other outbuildings and a private dock and dock keeper’s house. The manor house was built around 1820 and was owned by the family of High Sheriff of Carnarvonshire Thomas Turner (c 1811-1873). Turner was a magistrate and served as Mayor of Caernarfon from 1846 to 1848. He also had a wine merchants’ business, Messrs Turner & co., and was agent for the Vaynol Estate. In the latter capacity he supervised Dinorwic Quarry and it was during a visit to the quarry that, falling over some rails, he sustained a spinal injury that was ultimately to lead to his death.

Plas Brereton was put up for sale by public auction in 1896, when it was described as being “in a good position, and would make a capital residence for a gentleman who has inclinations for a rural life, but whose profession compels him to spend a portion of the day at an office in a town.” It was bought for £8,270 by a Miss Turner, who then put it up for sale in 11 separate lots.

More recently, in 2000 local developer Chris Goalen had joint regeneration plans for Plas Brereton estate together with the adjacent Plas Ty Coch. Plas Brereton villa would have been converted into a seven-bedroom hotel and 96-seat restaurant. Outbuildings would have become a fitness centre and swimming pool. And the private dock and former dock keeper’s house would also have been restored. The proposed development scheme did not, however, come to fruition.

In 2008 the then owners Cheshire-based Dowhill Developments Ltd were also granted planning permission to convert the main house into a boutique hotel with an associated spa, gym and swimming pool.

A 26 ft static caravan situated next to the villa burnt down to the ground in 2012. The couple who had been allowed to stay in the caravan in return for watching over the property only narrowly escaped from the blaze.

In 2013 the estate was put up for sale by public auction administered by Manchester-based asset-recovery group Winterhill Largo. The property was purchased for £591,146 by London-based developers Cabot Park Ltd.

In October 2015 Cabot Park obtained planning consent, based on designs created by Llanfairpwll-based DEWIS Architecture, to convert the villa into a nine-bedroom boutique hotel, to build a single-storey extension for a 120-seat restaurant, and to convert existing outbuildings and construct new buildings to create a total of 18 self-catering holiday units. It was then announced that the developers were embarking upon their search for potential operators to run the proposed facilities.

Further Reading

Caernarfon’s Plas Brereton hotel plan given go-ahead (Daily Post, 19 Oct 2015)

SEE MORE →