Eglwys Sadwrn Sant

Eglwys Sadwrn Sant

Eglwys Sadwrn Sant

Date

6 February 2016

Location

Llansadwrn, Anglesey
SH 55365 75877; 53.26011°N, 4.16978°W

Information

Llansadwrn, situated in Cwn Cadnant on the Isle of Anglesey, is named after St Sadwrn’s Church, which was founded around 500 CE. The present building, erected on the foundations of its medieval precursor, was designed by diocesan architect Henry Kennedy and built in 1881. The church received a Grade II* listing in 1968.

After leaving the military, Sadwrn Farchog (Sadwrn the Knight) came to Wales from Brittany and established a church in what was to become Llansadwrn in Carmarthenshire. He later moved north to Anglesey, where he lived as hermit. A 6th century memorial stone bearing his name was discovered in 1742 and is now set into a wall inside the Anglesey church. Sadwrn’s name in Latin is Saturninus, which can lead to his confusion with various other saints with the same name.

Further Reading

Church of St Sadwrn, Cwm Cadnant (British Listed Buildings)

SEE MORE →

Edinburgh’s Christmas 2015

Edinburgh's Christmas 2015, Princes Street Gardens

Edinburgh’s Christmas 2015, Princes Street Gardens

Date

26 December 2015

Location

Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh
NT 25411 73849; 55.95184°N, 3.19604°W

St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh
NT 25571 74115; 55.95425°N, 3.19355°W

Information

Edinburgh’s Christmas is a programme of events and activities taking place in a number of sites in the city centre from 20 November 2015 until 4 January 2016. St Andrew’s Square hosts the Scottish Market, an ice rink and a show venue The Spiegeltent. Located in East Princes Street Gardens are various funfair attractions – including a Ferris wheel, helter skelter and ice rink – together with a traditional European Christmas market.

Further Reading

Edinburgh’s Christmas

SEE MORE →

Beaumaris Cemetery

Beaumaris Cemetery

Beaumaris Cemetery

Date

12 April 2015
Location

Beaumaris, Anglesey

SH 59930 75606; 53.25890°N, 4.10127°W

Information

Beaumaris Cemetery was designed by architect J Francis Clerke and was built between June 1862 and April 1863 on a plot of land given to the town council by Sir Richard Bulkeley Williams-Bulkeley (1801-1875), 10th Baronet, of Baron Hill, who was at the time Member of Parliament for Anglesey and Lord Lieutenant of Caernarvonshire. The cemetery chapel was consecrated in July 1863 by the Bishop of Bangor, James Colquhoun Cambell (1813-1895).

SEE MORE →

Belgian Promenade

High tide in the Swellies and a partially flooded Belgian Promenade

High tide in the Swellies and a partially flooded Belgian Promenade

Date

8 November 2014
Location

Menai Bridge

SH 55296 71708; 53.22264°N, 4.16892°W

Information

During the First World War around 60 refugees from Mechelen, between Brussels and Antwerp in Belgium, were accommodated by the town of Menai Bridge. In appreciation of the welcome they received they helped to build a walkway, completed in 1916, along the banks of the Menai Strait from Carreg yr Halen – former landing place of the Porthaethwy Ferry – to Ynys Tysilio (Church Island). The 400m-long walkway, known as Belgian Promenade, was rebuilt after storm damage in the 1960s and, more recently, its surface was renewed in 2000.

 

SEE MORE →