31 July 2016
In 1920 Carlisle Citizens’ League and Carlisle Corporation purchased the land to create a public park at Rickerby for £11,500 as a site for a memorial cenotaph and bridge to commemorate the 10,000 local men and women who lost their lives in the First World War. The 12 metre high cenotaph, which cost £5,000, was designed by Edinburgh architect Sir Robert Stodart Lorimer (1864-1929) and was made from local Shap granite. The Memorial Bridge over the River Eden is of cantilever construction and has a main span of 61 metres. Rickerby Park was officially opened on 25 May 1922.