Churchyard of St Llechid’s Church, Llanllechid

Cross, towards Moel y Ci

Date

21 January 2012
Location

Llanllechid, Gwynedd

SH 62223 68720; 53.19764°N, 4.06395°W

Information

The Grade II listed church in Llanllechid — dedicated to Llechid, a sixth-century female Welsh saint — was built in 1844 at a cost of around £2500 to replace an earlier church dating back to the late 15th century which stood nearby. The newer church was constructed in a neo-Norman style from local granite and limestone and is an early example of the work of diocesan architect Henry Kennedy. The design was controversial at the time and met with some criticism.

Although the churchyard is still owned by The Church In Wales, the church itself was closed around 2002 and in October 2010 Gwynedd Council conditionally approved plans to convert it into a three-bedroom dwelling.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1849 (British History Online);
St Llechid’s Church (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…