Capel Garmon Parish Church Cemetery

Capel Garmon Parish Church

Capel Garmon Parish Church

Date

13 September 2014
Location

Capel Garmon, Conwy

SH 81545 55449; 53.08307°N, 3.76996°W

Information

The former Anglican church in Capel Garmon was dedicated to the Welsh saint Garmon, traditionally identified with Saint Germanus of Auxerre (c 378-448) who visited Britain around 429, shortly after the Roman withdrawal. A number of previous churches occupied the site. The previous one was built in 1789 and by 1862 this had become ruinous and was rebuilt by Lancaster architect Edward Graham Paley in 1862-63. The present building was originally a chapel of ease (a subsidiary church) to Llanrwst before becoming a parish church in its own right in 1927. Ownership was transferred to the Church in Wales in 1939. The building was deconsecrated in 1994, made redundant the following year, and sold in 2006.

Acknowledgement: grateful thanks are due to Rebecca Rabjohns, Estates Officer of The Representative Body of the Church in Wales, for kindly providing some of the historical data.

Further Reading

St Garmon’s Church, Capel Garmon (Wikipedia)

 

SEE MORE →

Old Town Cemetery, Stirling

The Wigtown Martyrs Monument

Martyrs’ Monument. The marble statue was created by Alexander Handyside Ritchie in 1859 and the encasing glazed cast-iron structure was added in 1867 by architect John Thomas Rochead, designer of the National Wallace Monument.

Date

28 August 2014
Location

Stirling

NS 79079 93839; 56.12190°N, 3.94663°W

Information

The hollow, known as The Valley, situated between Stirling’s castle esplanade and the Church of the Holy Rude, was used as an event ground during the Stuart era. It served as a venue for gatherings such as jousting tournaments, horse fairs and markets. The site is now occupied by the Old Town Cemeteries, a complex comprising the old kirkyard, Valley Cemetery, Mars Wark Garden, Drummond Pleasure Ground, and the later Snowdon Cemetery. By the mid 19th century Holy Rude’s kirkyard had become desperately overcrowded and the adjoining Valley Cemetery and Mars Wark Garden were therefore created in 1857-59. The adjacent Drummond Pleasure Ground, with its Star Pyramid – a monument to Scottish civil and religious martyrs – was completed in 1863. The complex was designed not only as a graveyard, but also as a recreational and educational public park aimed at the increasing numbers of tourists arriving in Stirling since the railway had reached the town in 1849.

The central area of Valley Cemetery features statues by sculptor Alexander Handyside Ritchie (1804-1870), who was born in Musselburgh and studied in Edinburgh and Rome, of three pivotal figures in the history of the Reformed Church in Scotland – John Knox (c 1514-1572), Andrew Melville (1545-1622) and Alexander Henderson (c 1583-1646).

Also prominent in the cemetery is the Martyrs’ Monument, another work by Ritchie. This marble statue was created in 1859 and commemorates the Wigtown Martyrs – Margaret Wilson, 18, and Margaret McLachlan, 75 – who, clinging to their Covenanter principles, refused to recognise James VII as head of the Church and were executed for treason by drowning in the Solway Firth. The Covenanters were members of a religious movement committed to preserving the changes of the 1560 Scottish Reformation (where the Church broke with the Papacy) and to maintaining the Presbyterian system, where the Church was governed by a session of representatives, rather than by bishops appointed by the crown. After the restoration of the monarchy, the Covenanters were persecuted and attending their open-air gatherings became a capital offence.

A £1.7m restoration of the Old Town Cemeteries was completed in 2009 with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Stirling Council, Historic Scotland and Scottish Natural Heritage.

Further Reading

Old Town Cemetery Stirling;
Margaret Wilson (Scottish martyr) (Wikipedia)

 

SEE MORE →

St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys, Bethesda

St Ann's Church, Bryn Eglwys, Bethesda

St Ann’s Church, Bryn Eglwys, Bethesda

Date

10 August 2014
Location

Bryn Eglwys, Bethesda

SH 61038 66307; 53.17566°N, 4.08062°W

Information

The original St Ann’s Chapel today lies buried under the great sprawling spoil heaps of Penrhyn Quarry. Consecrated in 1813, it was built around 1807 by Richard Pennant (1737 – 1808), Baron Penrhyn of Penrhyn in the county of Louth, and named after his wife Anne Susannah Warburton, heiress to the Penrhyn Estate. The building of the chapel is one of the accomplishments commemorated on Westmacott’s grand Penrhyn monument in St Tegai’s Church, Llandygai.

The chapel was still included on the 1840 Ordnance Survey map. Together with the hamlet of Bryn Llys, it was, however, later engulfed as the workings at the slate quarry expanded. Its location is now occupied by the north-western end of the waste tips on the southern side of the B4409 Bethesda-to-Tregarth road.

A replacement church was constructed in 1865 by Edward Gordon Douglas-Pennant (1800 – 1886), 1st Baron Penrhyn of Llandygai (Richard Pennant’s second cousin’s son-in-law). The new St Ann’s Church was designed by Penrhyn Estate architect J O Roberts and was built in Bryn Eglwys, a new village built for quarry workers, about half a mile north west of the location of the original chapel.

St Ann’s Church was transferred from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners of England to the Church in Wales in 1921. Prohibitive costs of repairs to the church forced its closure in 1997 and the building was sold in 1999. Its churchyard is still maintained by the local Parochial Church Council and it is still in use for the burial of ashes.

Acknowledgement: grateful thanks are due to Rebecca Rabjohns,
Estates Officer of The Representative Body of the Church in Wales, for kindly providing some of the historical data.

 

SEE MORE →

Machpellah Cemetery, Deiniolen

Machpellah Cemetery, Deiniolen

Machpellah Cemetery, Deiniolen

Date

19 July 2014
Location

Deiniolen

SH 57775 63045; 53.14549°N, 4.12795°W

Information

Machpellah Cemetery in Deiniolen has been administered by Arfon Borough Council since 1978. It was founded by 11 local chapels of various denominations in 1844 and was expanded in the 1920s. The name comes from the Hebrew machpelah (‘double cave’), also known as the Cave of the Patriarchs, a site near Hebron purchased, according to tradition, by Abraham as a family mausoleum.

Acknowledgement: grateful thanks are due to Annwen Jones, Gwynedd Council Archivist for providing historical details of the site.

 

SEE MORE →