4 April 2020
24 August 2019
Ullswater ‘Steamers’ opened the jetty on Ullswater lake shore near Aira Force waterfall in 2015. At 12 km long and with a surface area of 9 km2, Ullswater is the second largest of the 16 lakes in the Lake District (the largest being Windermere). This scenic lake has been a popular tourist destination since the 18th century, and was where Donald Campbell set the world water-speed record of 202 mph in 1955. The Lake District was awarded UNESCO World Heritage Site status in 2017, a first for a UK national park.
21 August 2018
Fri Skien is a general-cargo ship operated by Norwegian shipping company Høyergruppen AS. Constructed in the Netherlands in 2000, the vessel is 89m long with a beam of 13m. Its hold has a capacity of 5,669 cubic metres and its maximum deadweight (the weight it can carry) is 3,792 tonnes. Pictured here on 21 August 2018, she arrived in Campbeltown on the 19th and her next port of call was Rostock, Germany, arriving there on the 26th.
20 August 2017
14 May 2017
In 1884 a four-mile-long, single track branch line of the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) from Bangor to Bethesda opened to passengers, linking to the Chester and Holyhead main line just outside Bangor. The route included Dinas Tunnel, a 297-yard-long (272 m), single-bore tunnel approached from the Bangor (northern) end through a sheer-faced rock cutting. On exiting the tunnel at the Bethesda (southern) end, the track crossed the Ogwen river over the Bryn Bella Viaduct. Increasing competition from buses led to the closing of passenger services on the branch line in 1951, with the line finally closing to all traffic in 1963.
In 2016 Gwynedd Council set aside £200,000 and secured an additional £230,000 from the Welsh Government in order to develop the disused tunnel so as to open a new section of the Lon Las Ogwen ‘multi-user’ path. This 11-mile-long cycle route follows parts of the trackbeds of the narrow-gauge Penrhyn Quarry Railway and the standard-gauge LNWR branch line and has until now been interrupted by a mile-long detour around the tunnel by road.
The development work was carried out by Trawsfynydd-based contractor G H James and involved: securing the rockface in the cutting; lighting the tunnel; installing safety railings on the viaduct parapets; and clearing and surfacing the path. The new 800-metre-long section of the route opened in May 2017.
21 November 2015
Lime Street, Liverpool
Liverpool’s Lime Street Station is the city centre’s main railway station and comprises Network Rail’s nine-platform mainline terminus together with Merseyrail’s single-platform underground station. It thus provides a connection between a branch of the West Coast Main Line and Merseyrail’s Wirral Line.
The underground station is one of six in Merseyrail’s network and was opened in 1977 on the completion of the new single-track Loop Line tunnel under the city centre. The latter links to the Mersey Railway Tunnel, which opened in 1886 to provide a rail link between Liverpool and Birkenhead under the River Mersey.
|Date||3 April 2015|
|Location||Chirk, Wrexham County Borough||SJ 28672 37378; 52.92904°N, 3.06254°W|
Chirk Aqueduct carries the Llangollen Canal over the Ceiriog Valley, with the river below forming part of the border between Wales and England. The aqueduct was built between 1796 and 1801 by Thomas Telford during the construction of the then Ellesmere Canal. The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct three miles to the north was also later built by Telford for the same canal.
Chirk Aqueduct’s ten arches span a total length of 220m, at a height of 21m above the River Ceiriog. The waterway is contained by a cast-iron trough between the stone side walls.
Alongside the aqueduct runs a complementary masonry arched viaduct, built by Henry Robertson in 1846-1848 for the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway. At the Welsh end of the aqueduct, the canal continues northwards through the 421m-long Chirk Tunnel, built in 1794-1802.
|Date||29 October 2014|
|Location||Hanover Street, Liverpool||SJ 34519 89976; 53.40251°N, 2.98636°W|
Liverpool City Council approved a public cycle-hire project in April 2013 and the citybike scheme was launched by Olympic gold medallist Chris Boardman in May 2014. With a target of 1000 bikes available from over 100 stations across the city, the scheme is set to be the largest in the UK after London’s ‘Boris’ bikes. citybike is operated by HourBike Ltd and is funded by a £1.5m grant from the Department for Transport’s Local Sustainable Transport Fund. The scheme started with 80 bikes at 10 access points within the city centre. By September there were 320 bikes at over 50 stations and there are now more than 70 bike stations available. The self-service cycles can be hired by registered members of the scheme from one station and dropped off at any other. Annual membership costs £60 and the first half-hour is free but costs £1 per hour thereafter.
|Date||5 October 2013|
|Location||Bwlch Gwyn Quarry, Gaerwen, Anglesey||SH 48084 72964; 53.23191°N, 4.27744°W|
The first British car to achieve sales of more than one million, the Morris Minor was manufactured by Morris Motors Ltd from 1948 to 1972. This popular economy car was designed by Sir Alec Issigonis. The Morris Minor 1000, introduced in 1956, was the third production series, coming after the MM and the Series II.
Bwlch Gwyn Quarry (Anglesey) Ltd is listed in the 1968 fourth edition of the Road Research Laboratory’s Sources of Road Aggregates in Great Britain as a producer of epidiorite, a basalt-group roadstone. The quarry was later used by Anglesey Council contractors as a recycling site for highway maintenance waste, such as old tarmac and concrete, which was processed for re-use on roadways. The abandoned quarry is currently used by the Caernarvonshire & Anglesey Motor Club as a venue for autotest meetings.