Trawsfynydd Footbridge

Footbridge over Llyn Trawsfynydd

Date

29 September 2012
Location

Trawsfynydd

SH 70336 35247; 52.89896°N, 3.92909°W

Information

Llyn Trawsfynydd is an artificial lake just south of the Vale of Ffestiniog. It was constructed between 1924 and 1928 as the water supply for Maentwrog hydro-electric power station and it also later served as the supply of cooling water for Trawsfynydd nuclear power station, which was in operation from 1965 until 1991.

When the reservoir was created, around twenty properties were flooded and public rights of way across the land were lost. To compensate for the latter, a public footbridge was built across the southern end of the lake. The steel bridge comprises 20 lattice-girder spans supported by trestle towers, is a quarter of a mile long, and links Trawsfynydd village with the site of a former local chapel.

Trawsfynydd (Wikipedia)

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE…