Op Art, Tate Liverpool

‘Op Art in Focus’ exhibition

Date

25 April 2019

Location

Tate Liverpool, Albert Dock, Liverpool
SJ 33988 89828; 53.40111°N, 2.99430°W

Information

On show from 21 July 2018 until 5 July 2020 at the Tate Liverpool, Op Art in Focus is an exhibition featuring a variety of works of optical art. The Op Art movement began in the 1960s and is known for its use of bold colours, lines and geometric shapes.

Further Reading

Tate Liverpool

SEE MORE →

Leonardo da Vinci – ‘A Life in Drawing’ exhibition

The head of Leda (c 1505-08). Black chalk, pen and ink.

Date

25 April 2019

Location

Walker Art Gallery, William Brown Street, Liverpool
SJ 34995 90768; 53.40969°N, 2.97936°W

Information

In February 2019, to mark the 500th anniversary of his death, 144 of Leonardo da Vinci’s drawings from the Royal Collection went on display in 12 concurrent exhibitions across the UK, with each venue hosting 12 separate works.

Further Reading

Walker Art Gallery

SEE MORE →

Perth Museum and Art Gallery

Perth Museum and Art Gallery

Perth Museum and Art Gallery

Date

23 August 2016

Location

Bridge Lane, Perth
NO 11972 23814; 56.39833°N, 3.42776°W

Information

With its roots dating back to the founding of the Antiquarian Society of Perth in 1784, Perth Museum and Art Gallery is one of the oldest museums in the UK. The museum owns a collection of more than half a million items. The museum building, originally known as The Monument, was designed by amateur architect David Morison (c1792-1855), who was Secretary of the Perth’s Literary and Antiquarian Society. The building opened in 1824 and was donated by the Society to the city of Perth in 1915 on the condition that it remained in use as a public museum or library. An extension, designed by Perth architects Smart Stewart Mitchell, to the original building was completed in 1935.

Further Reading

Perth Museum and Art Gallery

SEE MORE →

Mostyn

Cast-iron verandah

Cast-iron verandah

Date

16 March 2014
Location

Vaughan Street, Llandudno

SH 78537 82048; 53.321378, -3.824968

Information

Designed by architect G A Humphreys, the Mostyn Art Gallery opened in 1901 as a public gallery funded by Lady Augusta Mostyn to exhibit works by female artists. The gallery closed twelve years later and the building was subsequently put to a variety of uses until eventually reopening as an art gallery, Oriel Mostyn, in 1979. Now branded simply as ‘Mostyn’, the gallery of contemporary art underwent a three-year programme of renovation and extension which was completed in 2010.

Further Reading

Mostyn (official site);
Oriel Mostyn art gallery (HistoryPoints);
Mostyn (LustreBox)

 

SEE MORE →